the sound and you 

What did you think of this show.
Poll ended at Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:38 pm
I would do/see it agin 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 6

the sound and you 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i used to watch SOM as a child over and over again...i LOVED it...at 14, i got to do it as one of my first musicals ever, so me without any confidence or experiece got cast as a nun...it was still an awesome experience tho...and i really wanted to do it as my senior show at a community high school aged theater group, and be maria, but nooooo my director refused!!! oh well, playing maria is one of my dreams :D

Theme Song >> "Heart and Music" from A New Brain

Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post i'd do it again
I would most def do it again...it is such a great musical.
i was a "no-name-nun" although all the nuns had nicknames... I was Sister Mary Spankme. We also had Sister Snatch, Sister CriesaLot, Sister Lickme and Nunzilla among others. All the moody nuns are the only bad thing about the show. It seems they were all cranky and mooody at the same time of the month...ugh, women!

Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:38 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: i'd do it again
MegOMoney wrote:
I would most def do it again...it is such a great musical.
i was a "no-name-nun" although all the nuns had nicknames... I was Sister Mary Spankme. We also had Sister Snatch, Sister CriesaLot, Sister Lickme and Nunzilla among others. All the moody nuns are the only bad thing about the show. It seems they were all cranky and mooody at the same time of the month...ugh, women!

Let me guess: "Nunzilla" was Sister Berthe, the Mistress of Novices, who was the most outspoken with her doubts about Maria's suitability for life at Nonnberg Abbey (Portia Nelson played her to perfection in the movie); "Sister Criesalot" must have been Sister Margaretta, the Mistress of Postulants and Maria's champion among the ranking nuns.

Last edited by Mark Walton on Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:12 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I just got done with a seven month run of SOM. I miss it SOOOO much! I played Maria. You really start to become a family of singers in that time and it's a little scary, but fun! My kids were so talented and well behaved, but the Captain we had was another story! His backstage nickname was Captain Von A-Hole... he was one of those opera people that used to sing at the Met... And he was the most unprofessional person I've ever worked with... That sucked, but the rest of the experience was phenomenal!

As for the musical itself, the book was terrible, but I made the most of it. If you go into the whole thing thinking, "Gosh, this is gonna be cheesy!"... Chances are that you will play it cheesy. I chose to make Maria as real a character as I could. It was a challenge, but I hope I was successful at what I set out to accomplish!

As for the songs- SUPER FUN! I loved every song and I was happy that my director chose to add "I Have Confidence" to the mix! One of my FAVORITE songs! I think it's my theme song! LOL!

The costume changes were murderous, but I made it on stage and never once came on stage without clothes on! Thank God for that!

The only gripe I have is that the first act is like, an hour and forty-five minutes long! The second act isn't that long at all! I wish they could break it up so that by the time Mother Abbess sings "Climb Every Mountain"... the chairs aren's squeaking out in the audience because little kids have trouble sitting that long!

It's a great family show and I really enjoyed performing for (what could be) the next generation of phenomenal actors! :D

Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:25 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

[quote]Let me guess: "Nunzilla" was Sister Berthe, the Mistress of Novices, who was the most outspoken with her doubts about Maria's suitability for life at Nonnberg Abbey (Portia Nelson played her to perfection in the movie); "Sister Criesalot" must have been Sister Margaretta, the Mistress of Postulants and Maria's champion among the ranking nuns.

Actually, Nunvilla was a very large nun in the chorus who was always cranky. Sister Criesalot was a whiny novice who always cried when she didn't get her way. Sister's Mary Spankme and Lickme where early 20s lesbians in the cast. Sister Snatch was a way mean and cranky old lady who was always yellin or b***hin out someone. All the nuns with big parts, Bertha, Margretta, etc, etc were too busy to earn nicknames in backstage show.[/quote]

Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:46 pm
Profile YIM
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I will never do this show I again..........I love the movie but i hate the stage version.....i think this is one of my least favorites to be in. I am in it right now as Admiral von Schreiber.

Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:35 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I loved doing the Sound of Music in our jr.high/sr. high school production!!! My role was Kurt. It was a lot of fun practicing the songs, Sound of Music and So Long Farewell with my 'brothers and sisters'!

Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:14 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I was in a childerns theater and they did this show and i was so proud of my company for pulling it off, we where 5-8 graders at the time, and all of you being in it know how difficult it is for the age group! There is no Sound of music jr. so we had the college level script. I am proud to say we did a great show! I was Mother Abbess and the climb every mountain solo for a 14 year old was very difficult. I was also an alto. Audtioning for the show i was amazed i got the part because i had trouble hitting the high f at the end, but by opening i nailed it! I was so happy to be a part of the show at such a young age and would do it all again in a second

Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:23 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It was wonderful. I loved every bit of it. Sometimes when the old cast gets together, we joke and say that we'd know the whole thing if we did it right then...we probably would, too.

Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2