The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Thoughts on "Lonely Goatherd" 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Thoughts on "Lonely Goatherd"
I love this song dearly (I think it's one of the most underrated songs in the score), but I feel it works best only in the 1965 film because the puppetry lends itself very well to the visual lyrics. I've never seen the stage show, so to the people who have, I'm curious: how is 'Goatherd' usually handled without the visuals and how do you prefer it to be placed (during the storm sequence or elsewhere)?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Last edited by Apples2for10 on Wed May 19, 2010 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It works well in the storm sequence, because they're yodeling so that they won't hear the scary thunder.

Tue May 18, 2010 7:58 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
I also liked the puppets being used by the kids and Maria in the movie of The Sound of Music for "The Lonely Goatherd". I think it works better than just having the kids and Maria sings it during the storm. I understand that it's to cheer the kids up and not let them hear the thunder but so is "My Favorite Things".
Also, I was thinking this when I was in the show this fall: Why is Maria singing about goats having babies to the children?

Wed May 19, 2010 7:15 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

If you like "Lonely Goatherd" from SOM, look for the Nonesuch / Roxbury studio cast album of George and Ira Gershwin's LADY, BE GOOD! The song "Swiss Miss" aka "Yodel Song" bears comparison. LADY, BE GOOD! starred Adele Astaire and her brother (whatever became of him?) and is from 1924.

Wed May 19, 2010 7:40 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
I liked the scene w/ puppets in the movie.
the revised stage version has placed the songs in the same order as the movie- added I have Confidence, My favorite Things during the storm, Something Good instead of an Ordinary Couple, The Lonely Goatherd coming sometime in the 2nd act (for the festival) instead of in the thunderstorm. So, in this version, The Lonely Goatherd is done as a competition piece for the festival. Slightly boring depending on staging.

Sun May 23, 2010 8:57 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I guess I don't remember puppets. The only vision of it lately is from my Niece's Musical this spring - she is a Junior and played Maria. This is the "Lonely Goatherd" clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF8T55uO9n8

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:10 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I love The Lonely Goatherd too. It's a fun song. I think My Favorite Things works better during the storm. In productions that use MFT in the bedroom, they often move The Lonely Goatherd to another scene. The 1998 Broadway revival had it in the Festival scene. I don't like this idea because I really love the Do Re Mi reprise.

The 1981 London Revival had it after the MFT strom scene and before the Captain returns from Vienna. This is cool because we get to see what Maria and the children have been doing during the Captain's absence. It's set at a fair with a puppeteer and citizens of Salzburg singing along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaIe298t ... re=related

The 2006 London revivial had it in the same point as the movie, after the Captain apologizes to Maria and before the ball for Elsa. In this version, Maria & the kids are singing it in the garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foChALo1KhI

Brigantine, I loveeee your Emma banner! I loved the miniseries. I watched it during my spring break and plan on watching it again this summer! "Oh, the seaside..." :-)

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:58 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The 1998 Broadway revival achieved a masterstroke in placing this song. It was great that it combined the stage and screen versions of SOM so very deftly. I think that "Goatherd" works well in the Salzburg Festival sequence. Act Two opens with this song and it suggests that Max would like the children to sing it at the festival. I also think that "Goatherd" could fulfil the same function as the Farmer and the Cowman sequence in Oklahoma. There are tensions among the Austrians just as there were between farmers and cowmen. It seems that Maria and the Trapps were singing this as a peace offering to show that the yodelling that brought the goatherd and the girl in the pale pink coat together is similar to the music that binds us all together. It just seems more natural, if I might say so.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:35 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Thoughts on "Lonely Goatherd"
our production decided to just create a whole separate scene where maria and the kids are just singing together for the lonely goatherd scene. We kept "my favorite things" during the thunderstorm as in the movie.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]