Gretl audition 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Gretl audition
any pointers for auditioning for gretl?

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Watch Kym Karath in t he movie; she's probably considered THE definitive Gretl.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:47 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

thanks so much! my 3 and 1/2 year old daughter loves the movie and imitates Kym so I think we are in good shape then!

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:18 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

She needs to be able to follow directions. That's the biggest thing we look for when casting young children. Casting a 3 year old as Gretl would be terribly risky! Anything younger than five, the kids are very unpredictable! But there are exceptional children who are very focused at a young age too!

Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:10 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

well, she will be 4 by showtime, but more importantly she actually is good at following directions. She just played an orphan in the same theater company's production of "annie" and did very well. It was of course a much smaller role, but we are hoping for the best. I have stressed with her the importance of following directions though! thanks!

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:24 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

she got understudy....they cast a 7 year old. we are sooo proud of her! she will be in one of the shows and all the practices! yay!

Tue May 04, 2010 6:50 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post my "gretl's" progress..
My 4 year old has been doing very well at practices...she has little solos here and there and although she loves goofing around with her "siblings", she has really caught on to the songs and choreography. I am proud of her! She is so much smaller than the other kids (ages 10 and up) and so they all look after her like real brothers and sisters! I think I will likely shed a tear when whe does her "farewell, goodnight" solo! ;)

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Gretl audition
You sound like a truly wonderful stage parent. In my opinion, starting young is great. Hopefully she'll have a lifelong passion for the theatre! It seems like something she really enjoys, even at this age. Keep us posted on how the production goes!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

thanks Actingdude! My daughter has been running around our home singing show tunes (mamma mia, annie, sound of music, you name it) since she was 2. I can't believe how much she loves being on the stage because I am very shy when it comes to that! The theater group we are involved in is wonderful in that the director turns no child away and finds a part for everyone. I am super excited for the show !! Currently, I am making magic with my glue gun by transforming ordinary puppets into character from "the lonely goatherd" !!! Its fun. Guess I am a stage mom. ;) I will definitely keep you posted!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:25 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

just to update, the performance went wonderfully! My 4 year old nailed all her lines, did all her dances, and sung all her songs! (and best part was the micropone worked too...it had not worked in rehearsals) She brought daddy and mommy to tears! The other girl they cast as Gretl was actually 9 years old, not 7. We will remember her performance forever!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]