The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Info on smaller male roles 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Info on smaller male roles
I would like some information on the roles of Franz, Herr Zeller, and Admiral Schrieber (how large they are, how many scenes/ what Acts they appear in, etc). Any information is appreciated!

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:13 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

- Franz (Gil Stuart): The Captain's butler. He greeted Maria frostily on her initial arrival, spoke with Rolf as he delivered a telegram from Baroness Schroeder, was best man at the wedding, and as the family pushed the car out he was watching from the balcony.

- Herr Zeller (Ben Wright): The "heavy"; he first appeared at the party, making disparaging remarks about Austria. After the Anscluss he became Gauleiter (governor), trying to track down the Captain while he and Maria were away on honeymoon. He appeared as the family pushed the car out, stayed with them at the Festival, and followed them to the Abbey, directing the search for them.

- Admiral (von) Schreiber: Does not appear in the movie; Herr Zeller refers to him as the sender of the telegram. I don't know about stage productions.

Last edited by Mark Walton on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:06 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thank you for that, Mark! But yeah, I was mainly talking about in the stage show, so if anyone can shed some light on their roles in the stage show, that would be great.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:38 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
of the 3 Franz is the largest. about 25-30 lines. a good comic scene with Frau Schmidt toward the beginning. he and rolf exchange words about the nazi party developments when rolf deliverst he telegram in act III.

Herr Zeller. you need a very strong presence for the role. first seen at the party in an argument with Baron Elberfeld about the state of germany.He has a good scene in act II with von trapp.

the Admiral. accompanies Zeller to the Trapp home in act II maybe has 8 lines. most productions cut the role.

Last edited by Salome on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
I played the role of Franz for our fall production of The Sound of Music. At first I wasn't happy with the role. Later it grew on me and I really enjoyed it. One lady came up to me after one of the shows and said I was her favorite. That made it all worth it. I recommend Franz because it's not a lead but is still a fun role to play.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I played the role of Franz for our fall production of The Sound of Music. At first I wasn't happy with the role. Later it grew on me and I really enjoyed it. One lady came up to me after one of the shows and said I was her favorite. That made it all worth it. I recommend Franz because it's not a lead but is still a fun role to play.

Is Franz more comedic or dramatic?

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Franz for a secondary role gets some good moments of both.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Herr Zeller
Hi there.

I have just been cast to play the character Herr Zeller in a local musical (sound of music).

Is he a good character to play?
How many lines does he have?
Is he an important character?
What is he like?

thanks,

nick

Mon May 03, 2010 1:17 am

Zeller has 3 scenes, around 20 lines or so. a very hard nosed Nazi offical. he is the Gaultier of the region ,sort of a militia appointed governor.

Mon May 03, 2010 6:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]