The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Why don't the Germans / Austrians like Sound of Music? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Why don't the Germans / Austrians like Sound of Music?
Has anyone else found this? I would be very interested in hearing anyone’s experience of visiting Austria / Germany and experiencing attitudes towards Sound of Music, or if anyone knows anyone German / Austrian or is from these countries and could help explain why it is that everybody from Salzburg seems largely unaware of the story which, to outsiders, defines their town? Do Germans like musicals in general. Would be so grateful for any input as am trying to write an article. :)

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:54 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I may be wrong, but I've been told that German language countries has more musical productions a year than the English speaking countries. I think you may have had bad luck and met some of the few people who doesn't know anything about musical theatre.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

1. The whole Nazi issue, especially in Germany. So bad that when it was first released there, a German producer cut everything after the wedding and some of Herr Zeller's scenes.

2. The Austrians just didn't think it was authentic and hated the Hollywoodization of their country, clothes, and culture.

3. The Germans and Austrians couldn't get over the fact that the Americans had remade one of their favorite movies ever, Die Trapp Familie, which was as popular there as The Sound of Music is popular over here.

I, honestly, think that the Austrians and people from Salzburg should be very grateful for having The Sound of Music. It basically put them on the map.

Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:33 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

i can agree with their distain considering al lthe fiction that people take as fact in the sound of music.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:45 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: "Company". Without a doubt.
Main Role: Director
i can agree with their distain considering al lthe fiction that people take as fact in the sound of music.

This is very true. I read an article several years ago with the Von Trapp children complaining about how a lot of the things that happened in the movies never happened in real life. I can see why a fabrication on a local story would be enough to make Austrians mad.

And the Germans have always been very touchy about the Nazis in WWII. This is also unsurprising.

Upcoming: Auditions The Velveteen Rabbit

Sat May 08, 2010 7:03 am

Main Role: Fan

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Sat May 08, 2010 7:42 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: N2N, Hair,
And the Germans have always been very touchy about the Nazis in WWII. This is also unsurprising.

mhm. It's actually illegal to to/have anything nazi- related. At musical practice one year a kid was jokingly doing the "heil Hitler" sign,and a German exchange student said he would have been arrested if he did that in Germany.

Sat May 08, 2010 8:56 am

Current Obsession: "Company". Without a doubt.
Main Role: Director
So what is fiction and what is real?

All the info can be found here: http://www.archives.gov/publications/pr ... rapps.html

Upcoming: Auditions The Velveteen Rabbit

Sat May 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
I've been to Austria and Salzburg and did the whole Sound of Music tour... it's not that all Austrians hate SOM, but they don't like how Hollywood twisted the story, and that Americans believe it all to be true. They may not like that aspect of it, but I'm sure a lot of people in Salzburg are glad for the tourism business.

Sun May 23, 2010 9:01 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't think Germans dislike the movie or the show. Most Germans simply don't know the Sound of Music. People don't grow up with the movie. Adults don't know it so they don't show it to their kids....

There are a lot of movies about the Third Reich in Germany and there will always be. That's good because especially younger people have to know about history. But therefore I don't think that Germans don't like the show because it refers to Hitler. DOn't forget that most of the people living today did not have anything to do with it and they only know about the Third Reich because teachers or movies have told them (just as everywhere else in the world). I don't think people are that touchy anymore - might have been different when the Sound of Music was released.

By the way...
-yes Germans like musicals in general (not all of them of course ;) )
-and no there aren't more German musical productions than English ones.

and: the Sound of Music ranks high on amazon.de but people there also say that nearly noone in Germany knows the movie.

Mon May 31, 2010 1:15 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Why don't the Germans / Austrians like Sound of Music?
Here is the perspective of a German:
Before I moved to the US I had never heard of the "Sound of Music", but I did know about Die Trapp Familie (as mentioned in another post, an Austrian movie from the 50s). When I first saw the Sound of Music I utterly disliked it and with this opinion strangely offended everyone around me. Quickly, the assumption is made, that Germans cannot deal with being reminded of their dark past. Completely beside the point. The reason why the movie caused this reaction in me is quite simple: the music does not fit to the images. The music is just too American. The sound of this music together with images of the Alps and people in Dirndl and Lederhosen just does not go together - it is just like a Western movie with Bollywood music or Chinese opera if you will. It's not just the language. If you think my comparison is too exaggerated then imagine Mary Poppins singing Bach chorales or German/Austrian folk songs - it just wouldn't fit the movie and it's setting.
So for that reason the Sound of music was never popular in Germany or Austria. Simple as that. I'm sure Die Trapp Familie was more popular, but just one of a gazillion "Heimat-Filme", the popular movie genre of the time.

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]