The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Sound of Music turns 50! 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Sound of Music turns 50!
Can you believe it? I guess we have Vincent Donahue to thank. He saw the German films and approched Mary martin about making it a Broadway musical, who then approached R&H!

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:01 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Anniversary
At the recent celebratory Barnes and Noble function, original cast members had the following to say:

Lauri Peters wrote:
(Mary Martin... set such a standard of professional behavior and anything less wasn't tolerated) regardless of your age or the size of your role. It wasn’t as off-putting as it sounds because she was really warm and funny and kind and generous, but, professionally, it was that her work mattered to her. She respected the audience and the work. That was the way it was.

Brian Davies wrote:
(After riding his bicycle right off the stage into the orchestra pit) I got a call to come to Miss Martin’s dressing room. And she told me about the time when she was doing cartwheels in South Pacific and landed in the orchestra pit herself. She did that to make me feel better.

[quote=Theodore Bikel](Remembering a backstage visit from a tearful Zsa Zsa Gabor after the show) She said, "Dolink, this escaping over the mountain — this is the story of my life — Mamma, Eva, Magda, over the mountain." I said, "What are you talking about? When you were 15 years old, a Turkish diplomat married you and took you out of Hungary on the Orient Express!" She said, "It doesn’t matter. It’s my story!"[/quote]
I love that final story!

Later days
David

Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]