The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Inner humanity and vulnerabilities in the characters 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Inner humanity and vulnerabilities in the characters
I don't know if I've ever discussed this on these threads. However, whenever I either watch or listen to SOM, I keep thinking that it would be good to portray Maria as someone with human frailties and vulnerabilities. I mean no offence to the portrayals of Mary Martin and Dame Julie, but there is a risk that Maria might turn out to be portrayed as a Superwoman and a goody two-shoes if people would like her to be like that. Maria shows her delicacy when she sings the Sound of Music theme and I Have Confidence, but she comes into her own when she confronts the Captain and defends the children.
Although Captain von Trapp may come across as a poorly-written character, I would like there to be more in people's portrayals of the part. It would be wrong to just treat him as a stern, unfeeling father who softens after Maria comes into his life. Captain von Trapp is struggling to come to terms with the death of his first wife, and also the loss of his ship. Yet he also fears the loss of his homeland, especially with the incessant telephone calls.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:17 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
i trhink the play presents von trapp as a more rounded and real character. his scenews with max and else and his song with them really bring it out.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think it shows the Captain rediscovering his former self: the cultured gentleman he was before his first wife (the kids' mother) died. As Frau Schmidt told Maria, he didn't want any reminders of her, maybe they were too painful for him. Maria's "straitjacket speech" got through to the Captain as no one else - least of all the kids - dared, at the risk of her job. Hearing the kids singing to the Baroness made him relent - but not to the point of letting them sing in public. That took the Anschluss and some fancy footwork by Max and the Captain himself to change his mind.

Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]