The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Sound of Music 2009 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post The Sound of Music 2009
I just found out that my high school will be doing The Sound of Music for our Fall Musical 2009. Is this a good musical?

Also, what roles are good for a tenor?

I have to research more about The Sound of Music and read all of the threads that are here to get a grasp of what's going on.

Thanks everyone for your help! :D

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:21 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've researched The Sound of Music and now I'm looking at:
~ Fredrich
~ Rolf
~ Captain Von Trapp

Which part would you choose is the best and why?

Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:58 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wow you've never seen the Sound of Music? 8O
Also, go for Rolf.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:34 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Max is the only interesting male rolein the show. he has the 2 best songs too.

Rolf is only in 2 scenes and has one of the worst songs.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Definitely stay away from the Captain since you're a tenor. Rolf is a cute character, but there's not much too him. Max on the other hand can really steal the show when done well.

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm torn. My gut says Max for the reasons Salome gave, but there's a very special place in my heart for young romantic characters, so my heart says Rolfe, who is really the only legit tenor (or baritenor, in some cases) in the show.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:25 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm torn. My gut says Max for the reasons Salome gave, but there's a very special place in my heart for young romantic characters, so my heart says Rolfe, who is really the only legit tenor (or baritenor, in some cases) in the show.

Defs not a tenor. I'm a baritone and I sing the role with ease.

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:14 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I finally finished The Sound of Music movie last Tuesday. I love Rolf's character because it is similar to Anthony in Sweeney Todd (My ultimate dream role.) As said before, Rolf is only in two scenes: "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" and the Nazi's Looking for the Von Trapp Family Scene. Does Rolf come into other scenes of the musical like the movie? What does Rolf's role intale in The Sound of Music Musical?

Also, I'd love to find a script of The Sound of Music. Does anyone know where I could find one?

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:53 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Rolf is in two other scenes in the musical:

1. Delievering the telegram to Herr Detweiler.

2. In a scene where he makes Liesl cry in the second Act, after Maria and the Captain are married.

Rolf, Max, and the Captain are all good roles. Since you have your heart set on either Rolf or Max, here's how the screenplay of the movie describes them:

Max- a pixyish, hand-kissing impresario who would sell his grandmother down the river only if he couldn't get more money up the river. Can be anywhere from forty to fifty or so and must have genuine charm, appeal and enthusiasm.

Rolf- (pre Unification) a handsome young Austrian lad.

After the Anschluss, here is how he is described:

Rolf- (post Unification) There is something decidedly different about him since we last saw him. His bearing, his manner of speech, even his style of dress, are almost "military".

One more thing...in the stage musical, Rolf does NOT turn in the family to the Nazis.

If you are interested in other male characters, there is of course the Captain and Herr Zeller.

Captain- A tall, aristocratic man of 40 to 45. He is stern and military when we first meet him but he must be convincing later on as a warm, emotional father and romantically appealing in the love story with Maria. If the Captain's speech is clipped, his attitude sharp, and his exterior hard and unbending, he is still, nevertheless, not an unkind man, and indeed, at times, betrays a gentleness which he tries carefully to hide.

Herr Zeller- (during the Ball scene) He is middle-aged, stiff-backed, and heel clicker. He seems more interested in the Captain's obvious display of the Austrian flag than he is in Elsa.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Thought you should know if you have a lot of people in your cast its not going to be that much fun. My school just did it, not fun...

Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We had about 40 cast in our Singin' in the Rain production for my high school's Spring Musical 2009. I think the Director's thinking that not as many people will audition as it will be in the Fall for the 2009-2010 school year and not in the Spring.
I think that playing Rolf would be perfect for me as I've only been in one other musical and I'll also be Props Master for The Sound of Music. I would like to be Captain Von Trapp but I don't have the time or talent needed for the role.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Much has happened since I last posted in my thread. I've been working really hard for my audition. Since May actually. I have decided to audition for Captain Von Trapp, the male lead. One question I have about my audition, this musical will be done by a high school, is do you think it's okay to dress up as my character for the audition and should I?

Not many people seem interested at all in our fall production of The Sound of Music. The Director is dragging his feet. I've had to ask him numerous times about what the musical was and when will auditions be. I feel like I'm the one driving this musical and not him. He currently is working on three different productions: our The Sound Of Music, a musical at Kent University and he's in one. Many people don't like the Director for numerous reasons. One of them being that he's overcommitted and the show could be so much better if he had more focus on it. Two of the production staff will not be coming back this year because of the Director and some of the students don't like the Director either. Personally, If you love something with a passion, you should do it no matter who's directing it and have the best time you can. I haven't had any problems with the Director but I know that others have. I would still be in the musical even if I did have problems with the Director.
Also, no one in the Music Department can get the dates of the musical right. (We had dates for the musical set before the actual musical was announced.) It's November 20-22 but everyone keeps saying something different. It's very confusing.

Since there is minimal interest in it this year, I hope enough people are interested in it so that we have a good show. We usually do our musicals in the spring but the administration changed it to the fall for this year. Would a high school cancel their annual musical if not enough people auditioned? I'm just wondering this.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next