The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Kid sisters for the SOM 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Kid sisters for the SOM
Our three daughters, ages 6,8,9 auditioned for the Sound Of Music recently. It's a pretty professional venue. All three got a call-back. The call-back kids performed in groups for the second audition, and the director would sometimes ask a child in the group to step out and sing a part solo.

My question is, if our girls weren't called out to sing solo, does that mean they likely won't get the parts? Was that the director's way of showing who is was particularly interested in?

Also, would being three sisters right in a row for sister parts in a musical be a plus for a director as opposed to casting non-related children? Our girls were the only sisters there, so I'm wondering if that will work to their advantage.

Thanks.

Mon May 04, 2009 1:49 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Generally speaking, being asked to sing solo at a callback is a neutral thing. Most of the time, it is merely the director asking the people who he/she finds to most VISUALLY look the part to sing. However, if he/she did not ask your daughters to sing solo, it may be that he/she already has parts in mind for them.

As to your question about casting 3 sisters, it really depends on the director. Some might like it for the visual appearance, others might not because of sibling rivalries and family conflicts (i.e. vacations, etc.) that would take 3 actors out of the show for short periods of time. It's all very director-specific.

Good luck to your 3 daughters!

Fraulein Schneider: Cabaret Forum Cast 08!
Now: Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice

Mon May 04, 2009 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]