The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Carrie Underwood becomes Maria...and catches Hell! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Carrie Underwood becomes Maria...and catches Hell!
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/carrie-underwood-responds-sound-music-remake-backlash-article-1.1532074

Carrie Underwood is 30, and she's tackling the role of Maria in a new, LIVE NBC broadcast of "The Sound of Music", but she's ALREADY catching Hell for playing the role of Maria.

I personally wish that I had a TV show recording system, because I'll be performing in "Les Miserables"...on the very night that Carrie will be singing, LIVE, as Maria! Doggone it all to heck and gone! NBC had better re-broadcast the filmed performance sometime...or I'd better find a way by which to record the show...because...I THINK THAT CARRIE UNDERWOOD WILL BE AMAZING, FER SHURR!

I'm serious about my opinion, too, because I already like Carrie's singing voice, and her overall look for "TSoM". I can't imagine that she'll sound, OR look awful, or even mediocre, and I really don't understand why, when she LOOKS so much different from Julie Andrews (Who WASN'T even the ORIGINAL BROADWAY Maria, anyway...although she WAS GOOD in the movie...), people EXPECT her to BE Julie Andrews, or to...in other words..."Back DOWN, B***h!"

I mean, why all of this hatred towards Carrie? I hope that she's SO good that dyed-in-the-wool "SoM" fans start insisting that their children watch BOTH versions of the show (The 1965 movie, and the live 2013 show)...during the future!

If we were going to be seeing several of the best African American actors/ singers in a live, televised version of "The Wiz", I don't think that ANYBODY would be hearing ANY complaints, except from me, because we can't bring Ted Ross back to life to play that sexy Lion! ;) He was irreplaceable in that movie!

Well, what are your opinions, with regards to the issue of Carrie Underwood playing the role of Maria?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8-)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:51 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Carrie Underwood becomes Maria...and catches Hell!
I don't see why Carrie's age is even an issue: Julie Andrews was 29 during the filming of SoM, and a year younger when she did Mary Poppins.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:22 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: Carrie Underwood becomes Maria...and catches Hell!
I saw it last night and I thought she did a great job.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]