The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Friedrich and Kurt 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Companies often take a lot of liberty with the children in this show, because it's incredibly hard to find seven children of mediocre talent, certain ages and genders, and look slightly similar to each other.
For this reason I often find the children may be cast older, but it really depends on the production.

Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:43 am

It's not unusual for one or both of the Von Trapp brothers to have changed voices. If Frederich is fourteen, it's highly unlikely that his voice still has not changed, and if Kurt is eleven, it's equally possible either way.

Younger boys with unbroken voices are often cast to maintain a childlike quality in the music. Even though it's unlikely in reality, it's helpful for the effect of Maria with the children. It can also steal Liesel's thunder if any of the other kids are on their way to becoming adults.

I remember when I was thirteen and didn't get Friedrich because I had a lovely tenor voice. I gave a great audition, but the director quickly bumped me up to the Rolfe contenders. Thirteen playing seventeen is a stretch though, and I did not get either part. I will never get to be a Von Trapp child. Life's a whore.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Remember in the movie's "So Long, Farewell", Charmian Carr's older sister Darleen dubbed in Kurt's line "I leave, and heave a sigh, and say goodbye", apparently because Duane Chase's voice couldn't carry the line. Duane was 13 at the time the movie was filmed; his spoken voice sounded like it was just on the cusp of changing.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2