Which Nun? 

Who's Your favourite Nun?
Sr. Berthe? 100%  100%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 9

Which Nun? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Which Nun?
Which nun has the best part? Sister Berthe because shes quite a comic character and gets to act mean, Sr. Margaretta because she has a few more lines at the end or Sr. Sophia because shes likeable? 8O

Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Sr. Berthe!
I like Sr. Berthe because she has the best character and adds a bit of normality to the sweetness of the whole musical! She is also the most fun person to watch, her reactions to some situations are hysterical!

Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:30 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

We kind turned Sister Margaretta into a comic part on our show, almost by accident. We told her to "act a little bit like a ditz", than bang, she over did it, but it was too funny to make her stop. I'd say that's one of the best parts in the show, with Max and Brigitta. At least in ours anyway.

Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:27 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Sister Berthe, the Mistress of Novices (Portia Nelson in the movie), is certainly the most outspoken with her doubts about Maria's suitability for life at the Abbey. She and Maria clearly do not get along; as Maria told the Mother Abbess, commenting on her own outspokenness: "You know how Sister Berthe always makes me kiss the floor after we have a disagreement? Well, lately I've taken to kissing the floor when I see her coming, just to save time!"

Sister Margaretta, the Mistress of Postulants (Anna Lee in the movie), is apt to be more forgiving of Maria's frequently being AWOL. She told the Mother Abbess: "The wool of a black sheep is just as warm".

Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:35 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I personally like Sister Catherine. Reminds me of Jellylorum in CATS. She's stern, but something about her seems good-humored.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:16 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In my production, Sophia was the ditzy one and she let Berthe push her around.
My favorite is Margaretta, because she's the coolest (and I've played her twice).

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I adore Sister Berthe. I played the role and am just so in love with that part. Our director had a great vision of her and her uptightness as well. Plus I really played it up with the girl playing Sister Margaretta during the scene before the wedding when the sisters are helping Maria pack her trunk for the honeymoon.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:23 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

My director cut that scene and I was really upset! I had a funny line... :(
Something about Maria's lingerie or something. He probably cut it because none of the nuns had good comedic timing. especially me. It was quite painful really.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My director cut that scene and I was really upset! I had a funny line... :(
Something about Maria's lingerie or something. He probably cut it because none of the nuns had good comedic timing. especially me. It was quite painful really.

Our was great! We were passing things to pack in the trunk when Sister Berthe comes across a piece of lingerie (we used a see through teeny tiny little negligee) and holds it up disgusted and shocked and is all "Sister Margaretta?!?" in disbelief. And Margaretta says "I think she forgot to put in the linings." Its in the script and hilarious. We totally played up that scene.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:52 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Maria's lingerie

WHAT! They cut that! I was Mother Abbess in an a little kid production and we still had that...

any way, in our version I would say sister Sophia

- The Steward Cinderella
- Virginia/ Can-Can Dancer Oklahoma
- The Mother Abbess The Sound of Music

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:59 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

he didn't cut it because of the content, just because he didn't like it, i think. my director's, uh, quirky.

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:19 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I got the chance to play Sister Berthe, and I just loved it. They way I chose to play her was that she was more set in her way of life in the Abby, and Maria represented a change in that life Style, hence their cat and dog relationship.

I will say that the two favorite nuns of the production from the reactions of the audience were always Sister Margeretta ( The Funny one ) and Sister Berthe ( The Mean one ).

Hope this helps someone ! :D

Past Roles:

-Wendy from Peter Pan
-Sister Berthe from Sound of Music
-Ensemble from Les Miserables
-Ensemble from Cinderella

Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]