The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Facets that need to reveal themselves 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Facets that need to reveal themselves
In one of my previous threads, I mentioned that there is perhaps more depth in SOM than the way that Lindsay and Crouse wrote the stage play.
Sometimes I think it might be a better idea to look at the script and at the song lyrics, and perhaps if these spoke for themselves it might make the musical more powerful.
I think in particular of the star that tells Maria she must leave the hills and go back to the Abbey, and I think also of the different ways of saying goodbye in So Long, Farewell. Yes, don't forget Edelweiss, because that song is a kind of "farewell to Austria", so it needs to project itself too. I think these words can really reflect the way that R&H were feeling at the end of their partnership and the way that Maria and the children were pressed to move on.
I think it might be easy to highlight the menace of the totalitarian regime that eventually surrounds Captain von Trapp's family, and so I share Salome's opinion that perhaps No Way to Stop It has a place in the show too.
On a more positive note, I think that Do-Re-Mi and My Favourite Things should stand out a little more so that they can cheer up the children and make them believe in themselves.
But ultimately it's up to the director to emphasise certain aspects of the musical, and maybe the words can't be enough to let the musical speak.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]