The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
An african-american maria 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
I'd rather see a good black Maria than a girl who looks the part, yet can't act and is tone deaf.

I'd rather be able to believe the story than not be able to and constantly think, "This could never happen."

*takes a deep breath, thinks, then bravely puts on flamesuit*

Y'know, one of my dream roles is Tom Collins in Rent. Will I ever be him? Probably not. Yet African-Americans can be Maria. Society is full of hypocrites, lies, and double standards.

I maintain my stance that a black Maria is not something that should happen. Yet, some people think it's okay. I say if an African-American plays a Caucasian character, I should be able to play African-American roles. I deserve all the opportunities as a Caucasian that African-Americans enjoy. If your philosophy is, "All roles are open," don't add, "only to African-Americans." Leave it like it is and stick to it. Don't create double standards.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:09 pm
Profile WWW

I don't have any double standards. I'm fine if a black person plays Enoch Snow, or if a White Person plays Joe.

Let Jonathan Pryce play The Engineer. Let John Reed play Ko-Ko.

Incidentally, wasn't the person who played Tom Collins in the workshops originally Caucasian? It wasn't until Jesse L. Martin joined that he was considered an African-American character. Or maybe I'm wrong...

Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:55 pm

See, here's the deal. Nowhere in the script does it say that Maria is white. Sure, the character is based on a real person, but many things have been changed from reality to the musical (the gender of the oldest child and many names). Why not Maria's race? And I honestly do NOT consider Maria von Trapp to be a historical character since her fame (in countries other than Germany) comes from The Sound of Music. Heck, I would even cast a black, asian, or hispanic Louise in Gypsy and SHE is a "historical figure"/"real live person".

The only exception, to me, might be ACTUAL historical figures, such as the characters in 1776 or Assassins. Even then, I would still cast a black Booth in Assassins or a Mexican Franklin in 1776 if they are better actors/singers than my other choices.

If you are watching the Sound of Music and say to yourself "Gosh, that's unbelievable because Maria is black", you should get yourself checked out because you should look past one's skin color. After all, we are all human beings.

This thread is 2 and a half years old now. I say we lay it to rest.

Last edited by what_the_heck013 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:13 pm
Profile WWW

Why not Maria's gender?
Because that would be gay.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Woops! Major typo. Fixed that. Thanks, man!

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:22 pm
Profile WWW

Okay. If that's your stance, WTH, I wanna be the Scarecrow in The Wiz and Tom Collins in Rent.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:29 pm
Profile WWW

Then go for it. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, I don't think there is a single mention in the script or score of either The Wiz or Rent that either the Scarecrow or Tom Collins is black. As long as you have the vocal chops for both parts, I can't see why not.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 pm
Profile WWW

Well, The Wiz was originally conceived as an all-black version of the Wizard of Oz. But personally, I don't really think it matters, because I'm so politically correct.

As for Rent, wasn't the Collins in the original workshop white? It wasn't until Jesse L. Martin got the part that it became an African-American role. And mainly for Rent, I don't think that each individual character's race matters, so long as the whole cast is diverse.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Yep, Pat Briggs was the original Collins. Google images him.
As for the rest of the cast, I agree. As long as they are all diverse. I would have no problem with an Asian Marc, a black Mimi, and a white Collins.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:40 pm
Profile WWW

Yep, Pat Briggs was the original Collins. Google images him.
As for the rest of the cast, I agree. As long as they are all diverse. I would have no problem with an Asian Marc, a black Mimi, and a white Collins.

But could it happen? I know it's Jonathan's dream and so on and so forth, but with the images that Anthony Rapp and Jesse L. Martin have given us, will it be so easy to change them?

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:05 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos

This got nasty really fast. Basically, we all have different opinions, but saying things like "Well, I suppose things are different in hick-towns" and "Blind neo-racist!!" are absolutely unnecessary and very rude. Geez, guys. My opinion is that Maria is a part that absolutely has to be white. It it was intentionally an all-black production, it'd be really different. Anna is a part that needs to be white. Joe is a part that needs to be black. There are some parts that are flexible, and there are some that are not. It's as painfully simple as that.

If you don't understand that, then there's very little hope for you, because that's pretty much the deal. Like I said, if it was an all-black production of The Sound of Music, then to hell with it. Cast all the black people you want! It's a black production! If it's a regular production, then Maria IS white. It's so simple!

Geez. This needs to be locked or something.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 pm

My opinion is that Maria is a part that absolutely has to be white. It it was intentionally an all-black production, it'd be really different. Anna is a part that needs to be white. Joe is a part that needs to be black. There are some parts that are flexible, and there are some that are not. It's as painfully simple as that.

If you don't understand that, then there's very little hope for you, because that's pretty much the deal. Like I said, if it was an all-black production of The Sound of Music, then to hell with it. Cast all the black people you want! It's a black production! If it's a regular production, then Maria IS white. It's so simple!

QFT. =D>

Mark and Collins are flexible. They are modern New Yorkers, they could be any race. Maria is from the Alps. She is strictly Caucasian.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next