The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
A musical about moving on and saying goodbye 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post A musical about moving on and saying goodbye
It may surprise you, but I chanced to re-read the liner notes to the 1993 CD reissue of the OBCR. One interesting observation that the writer makes is that SOM is a musical about saying goodbye. Perhaps it can mean "moving on", and I do see so many things in this musical about stepping into a new world.
I can see this in the hills and the laughing brook that trips and falls over stones. I can see this in how Maria says goodbye to the Abbey. I can see this in how the children strive to step into a new world after Maria liberates them. I can see Captain von Trapp striving to renew his world in his marriage aspirations, and I can see that Captain von Trapp and his family must leave Austria after the despotic totalitarian regime threatens their lives.
There are so many references to this in the song lyrics, and perhaps Climb Every Mountain should epitomise this theme very well. The last line of Edelweiss is probably something that shows Captain von Trapp saying goodbye to his beloved homeland. So Long, Farewell pushes everybody to move on, and so does I Have Confidence. And I know that the song No Way to Stop It shows Max and Elsa admonishing Captain von Trapp for resisting the advance of the genocidal totalitarianism that would soon take his homeland. Here, they would use the metaphor of the earth orbiting the sun to prove their point that you can't stop this genocidal totalitarianism just as you can't stop the earth orbiting the sun.
What remains constant, however, are the family's abiding values and their ability to change and uplift lives through music.
In this light I can see the mountains as embodying the agents of change, but yet providing continuity.
It was something that struck me, and I thought that perhaps we could discuss this on this board. I think we'll all have the chance to turn this into a fruitful discussion and see some depth in this well-loved musical than many would give it credit for.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:18 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Sound of Music isn't as cheesy as people may think. It actually has depth.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thank you for lending your voice to these sentiments. I know I can hear some traces of the depth in the music, because there are a few dissonant harmonies towards the end of So Long, Farewell, for instance.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:59 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer

it could have had depth bu as written its cheesey. the only time the play has any depth are the Max,Elsa,Von Trapp scenes.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Bookworm wrote:

it could have had depth bu as written its cheesey. the only time the play has any depth are the Max,Elsa,Von Trapp scenes.

Those scenes definitely have visible depth, and you're right, the story has more depth than the way it was written, but I think it has a little more depth in some of the other scenes than you give it credit for, although that's only one person's opinion and your opinion is as valid as mine.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]