The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Upcoming Audition 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Upcoming Audition
I have an audition Saturday (8/25). They want all the kids to sing Do Re Mi. The height limit is 5'2 and I'm 5'1. I'm 12 (and I'm a boy). They're going to have dance too. I've been in lots of shows at this theatre (kind of a regular; i've been in shows without auditioning). This theatre has a partnership with the drama camp that I go to and lots of kids from my camp get referred to auditions at this theatre. Usually, if you were really good at camp, then you'll get an email (along with 30 other people) or a phone call about an audition. I like emails because my mom knows basically everyone's email in theatre (a lot are also really obvious; i.e. last names), so I'm prepared for competition. I only know 4 of the other boys on that Sound of Music email. One is a blond kid, (i have brown hair), i think his acting is kind of sucky and his voice is bland and possibly changed :D . He thinks he's all that (but got sick for the holiday musical audition last year :D :D ! ). One of them is sort of my friend (but I'm competitive when it comes to auditions, so I'm not wishing him luck; weird superstition that when I wish someone luck, they get the part and I don't). The other 2 are brothers. The younger one is better than the older one, but looks 6 (he's 8 ) and the bigger one can't sing. Besides, their mom said that even if they get the part, she won't let them be in another show at this theatre (the little one was in Miracle on 34th Street last year and the late nights were to hard on him. He missed a show without notice and I went on for him, a 6 year old character, i'm 12, 5 minutes til showtime). Should I audition for Kurt or Friedrich? My brother and my friend say I could do either and that it depends if the director wants older or younger children.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:07 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
if you can act younger and can convincingly act younger compared to kids, go for kurt. if you're taller than most of the others auditioning go for friederich. if i were you i'd go for friederich because in the west end revival audition notice, 5'2 was the max height for friederich (i think). also, on stage, the directors seem to like casting kids (when adults are also cast) that are shorter than a certain height. i think friederich's 12 but if you can convincingly play either go for both. if i were you my first choice would be for friederich.

good luck!

x x x

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:58 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Well, at the audition there were about 80 kids. Probably 60 girls 20 boys. They put us in groups based on when we came. I was #68 or 69. They said that they would call us if they needed us. So, we got a call a couple days later that they wanted me for a callback, which was last night. There were about 30 kids at the callback, 20 girls 10 boys. They had a Maria there and they first had us do an easy dance combo, then they put us in groups based on what roles we were going for and only a couple people were going for two roles. A boy for Kurt/Friedrich and a couple girls, I think Louisa/Liesl. I'm surprised that most of the boys auditioning for Kurt were like 7 or 8. For Friedrich they had us do Do Re Mi together and then alone. My voice cracked in the Tea but everything else was good and I was the only one who could hit the high note which they said is major. Then they compared us in height and had us read a little. However, what worries me is that 2 of my friends (I've done shows with them; both auditioning for Marta) called my mom and said they got a call for a 3rd audtion which worries me because I heard nothing about a call but it could just be for girls because there were a lot more of them.

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]