The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Chorus? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Chorus?
how involved is the chorus in this show...I got casted as chorus in this :( :( :( .... Just wondering...If I should really accept it or not. I really feel like I am handicaping myself being in chorus roles.

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:08 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Honestly, the male ensemble stuff in this show sucks. They sing exactly two notes in the entire show ("Goodbye" at the end of So Long, Farewell), and do a couple of walk-ons as party guests and Nazis.

Unless you are getting paid to do this show, really want to be involved because you have a lot of other friends in the cast, or have the possibility of using this experience to get cast in something better, I would say to turn it down.

Then again, that's just my opinion ...

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:38 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'd also keep in mind if you ever want to work with this production company again. Unless you can give them a legitimate reason, turning down a role after you've been cast (chorus or otherwise) doesn't look good to them.

I was once offered a job I wasn't sure I wanted to do, but it was with oen of the influential production companies in the city, so I took it. Things happened to work out in my favour, and they found someone who was thrilled to do what I had agreed to do, we parted on amicable terms and I made (and maintain) contact into that circle of theatre.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

They also sing in the Finale, and they're also soldiers.

One of the most unprofessional things to do is turn down a role because it's not a lead. I can't stand it when people even consider it! :x

That's my opinion, anyways. :wink:

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:34 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In what version of Sound of Music have you ever had male voices in the Finale? Not to be rude, but I think you may have your shows confused. The Finale of Sound of Music is sung by the Mother Superior, backed by the Nuns' Chorus (all female).

Also, I think we're thinking the same thing as far as "soldiers" vs. "Nazis"

musikal_geek wrote:
One of the most unprofessional things to do is turn down a role because it's not a lead. I can't stand it when people even consider it!

I have to say that there is a difference between "turning down a role because it's not a lead" and turning down an ensemble role where you have about 10 minutes total stage time and two notes to sing in a 2 1/2 hour show.

Then again, that's just my opinion ...

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:39 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

One of the most unprofessional things to do is turn down a role because it's not a lead. I can't stand it when people even consider it! :x

That's my opinion, anyways. :wink:

Hey-- I have been in ALOT of things that I wasnt the lead in--You try being chorus in 3 musicals back to back and tell me you wouldnt get bored. It does get disheartening after a while! At least in Music Man, we had dance solos, and came on every 15 minutes or so. Fiddler, we had a lot to do.....I dont know.

I have decided to accept this role and work in the show, because I love the Theatre and I want to have this company on my reference, the fact that I have been chosen over 200 hopefuls, is something I wont take lightly. Sound of Music, is something I want to put on my reference.

West Side Story-A-rab
Forum- Hero
A Christmas Carol-Bob Crachit
Narnia-Mr. Beaver
La Cage Aux Folles-Hercule
Fiddler on the Roof-Sasha/Dancer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:49 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Good, I'm glad you took it....! I think any experience is a good one, and you'll really enjoy it. I would do anything to be in The Sound of Music, so take the opportunity whilst you can! :D

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:53 pm

You try being chorus in 3 musicals back to back and tell me you wouldnt get bored.

Fine.

I was in a chorus role for 4 back-to-back musicals and I didn't get bored.

(I changed it a little bit though).

I'm glad you took it. Theatre's theatre. It's not about the part you get, it's about being part of something special.

Re: Males Singing in Finale
I just checked my score, and you're right; there's not supposed to be males singing for Climb Ev'ry Mountain (Reprise). We did in our production, and I must say that it added so much more to it. It sounds much grander with such a range of singers and I think it's kind of silly only to have the nuns sing it. I know they're the only people on stage besides the von Trapps, but it doesn't seem right without the guys.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:09 pm

The show week would be fun and you'd enjoy it but can you get into rehearsals another show at the same time? I imagine you'll hardly be needed at rehearsals for this as there is so little for the men. There's not much for the women let alone the men.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

How large can the woman chorus get to be? If there is a legion of nuns, will women get to sing much? I'm not sure if I want to take the time you need to dedicate to a lead, but I don't want to be entirelly out.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But, vice versa - the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. --The Doctor

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:33 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

How large can the woman chorus get to be? If there is a legion of nuns, will women get to sing much? I'm not sure if I want to take the time you need to dedicate to a lead, but I don't want to be entirelly out.

I know this is a late reply but I'm hoping it will help all the same:
besides women chorus there are some nuns that sing in "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?" and a few other scenes with small solos. I think the two that sing the most in HDYSAPLM? are called Sister Berthe and Sister Margaretta. There is also a much larger nun part (Mother Abbess) but you aren't required to be in every single scene. If auditions are still up and you don't have the time I would audition for a nun.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]