The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
So what was the point of the reality show then? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post So what was the point of the reality show then?
Connie Fisher was the Maria voted by the British public to play the part of Maria in the West End revival, as you probably know. But she has not been performing for the past few weeks, and now, although she is back, she will only doing 6 shows a week. According to many different news articles, the alternate is going to be none other than Aoife Mulholland, who came 4th in the 'How do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?' competition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6471561.stm

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/news/Ar ... id=4345660

This is actually quite surprising, as they aren't asking the 2nd or 3rd place Marias, but the 4th, but apparently she recently auditioned just like everyone else would have. It also seems like another of ALW ploys for ticket sales, as now he'll get a wash of Aoife fans buying tickets. Personally, I'm really pleased, as I never liked Connie and I think that Aoife could make an excellent and DIFFERENT Maria, from what I've seen in the show and from seeing her as Roxie in Chicago.

Hmmm, I wonder what the people over on 'Grease, You're the One that I Want' will be wondering now...

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't quite understand the question... the point was to find a Maria, which they did. I'd rather Connie took a break than burnt herself out so early on in her career.

Helena was dreadful so obviously they couldn't use her to fill in. I presume Siobhan's busy doing something else. I remember Aoife being pretty good and ALW and co. must think people would rather see one of 'the Marias' than anyone else - if they can't see Connie.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:35 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The question was more of a comment, I just thought that this was interesting. The whole reason why they made the show was because ALW wanted to find the 'one girl' who could play Maria in the revival. In my opinion, the fact that they are now using the girl who came 4th place in the shows that the voting wasn't that important anyway.
Of course I'm glad that Connie isn't destroying her voice, but it was because of her persuasion that she ended up doing 8 shows a week anyway. :roll: (and Helena wasn't dreadful!)

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:22 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Yeah I agree, and I think Aoife will be fantastic! It's good that there will be two of them from the show doing it, I wonder why they didn't do that in the first place? Anyway, it's better that Connie is as good as she can be for the shows she does, rather than spreading herfelf too thin. :D

Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]