The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Whether to audition 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Whether to audition
I'm 37 and have two young boys, 2 and 7 months. Our community theatre is doing Sound of Music and the adult auditions are Tues and Wed (yes, tomorrow and Wed).

I had decided NOT to audition, because it would be hard to be away from my family for rehearsals, and it would be hard on my husband to take care of the kids.

Now, on the eve of auditions -- I really kind of want to!

I'm not prepared, but think I may go and give it a shot for one of the nuns or Mother Abbess. I think i'm a little too old and have too much post-baby weight for Maria, and Maria would be a lot of work. I have an above average voice and a decent range.

I think I'll go.... I'm not sure if I should just put that I want a certain role or nothing..... and I'm not sure if I should make the commitment. I could hire a babysitter to help my husband out a little with the kids, but the kids would also miss me while I'm gone.

But, it wouldn't hurt to audition, right? :lol:

Since I am not prepared, I am thinking of breaking all the rules and singing something from the show, a capella -- How do you solve a problem like Maria, or something I know -- ack.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Just wondering, did you ever audtion, and if so, how did it go?

Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:23 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Thanks for asking
Yes, I went, and I have mixed feelings about how I did.

I ran into the woman who was Marion in the Music Man 2 years ago at the same theater, I was in the chorus, and she was extremely nervous. I decided when seeing her that I wouldn't waste time trying out for Maria. ETA, although I kind of regret it, it would have put me in a better spot for a speaking part.

Then there were two options, to audition for the nun choir, even if you want a nun speaking role, or to audition for the other parts. I went with the nun choir and we all learned a group song which we all came back and sang together and were all accepted to the nun chorus. Then we stayed around and sang all of 8 bars individually of "Maria" and the nun speaking roles were picked. I sing well, but I wasn't smart enough to put a ton of personality into it for Berthe, *(doh!)and I'm pretty sure that Margaretta went to a Maria candidate who wasn't chosen for Maria.... it makes logical sense, doesn't it? I had felt I was strong enough on my singing, but they chose someone who sang poorly in a funny way for Berthe, which is not how I would have played it anyway.

Anyway, on the long 1/2 hour drive home, I realized I'd rather not have to drop out of my church choir and would rather skip the show and spend more time with my 7 month old and 2 year old kids at home. So that's what I'm doing. I guess now is not the right time.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:57 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Thanks for asking
KBecks wrote:
Anyway, on the long 1/2 hour drive home, I realized I'd rather not have to drop out of my church choir and would rather skip the show and spend more time with my 7 month old and 2 year old kids at home. So that's what I'm doing. I guess now is not the right time.
That is a MUCH better choice. You will have plenty of opportunites to be in the Sound of Music. I myself have done it three times. My mom has been in it so many times that she's played Maria twice!

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

It's always a hard choice for women of our age to make, home and kids or theater. I have worked with alot of women who had so little support from their spouses and were made to feel guilty when they did do shows.
I think you were very wise to prioritize things as you did. It is so easy to let that theater bug take over.
There will be future roles for you, I'm sure.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:14 pm

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]