The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
New here! Should I audition for the Sound of Music? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Fan
Post New here! Should I audition for the Sound of Music?
Hi everyone, I posted this on the main page, but had no idea that there was a SOM forum. (If this is taboo, I'm sorry! D: )

My name's Leah, and I'm wondering about advice for 'real' musical theatre auditions. I have auditioned for four roles before. My first was when I was 7 for the Sound of Music, the next was Beauty & the Beast, (Papa), one was for Alice in Wonderland (Ensemble) and the last was this past June for my school's select a capella choir. (got in!)

I've been looking for productions to audition for and found out that there are auditions for The Sound of Music next Wednesday & Thursday. The Sound of Music is my absolute favorite musical and I would love to try out.

(The questions start here for you skimmers ;) ) The info sheet says "Please come prepared with sheet music or a karaoke track for about a minute's work of music. We would be happy to hear a song from the show if you choose." Does this mean that it wouldn't be the best decision to sing a capella/sing a song NOT from the show? What song should I sing? I'm hoping for any role, but hopefully Lisel or Louisa. I want to sing something unique. I have never sung with a tape before either...are there any songs that are particularly good for first-timers? I was thinking Part of Your World, or Angel of Music(which is what I sung for my a capella audition) or just something from the SOM itself, depending on what would be best for Lisel.
And lastly, this is my first 'real' musical theatre audition in a while. Nerve help? :?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:12 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Guys & Dolls, Legally Blonde, Anything Goes
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: New here! Should I audition for the Sound of Music?
Hey! You should DEFINITELY audition! Especially if SOM is your favorite show. Make sure you DO NOT SING ACAPELLA. I rarely see people get into shows if they sing acapella or with a tape. Bring piano music. Singing acapella clues that the person auditioning can't sing the correct notes/in the correct key. I'm guessing that you're somewhat young if you're going for Lisel or Louisa, so either sing a song that those characters are in or sing a show from another musical in which that character has similarities to Lisel or Louisa.
As for being nervous, I used to be SOOO nervous doing theatre. You have to just think about the fact that there are a ton of other people auditioning, and they're thinking about their audition, and won't be really focused on yours. And make sure you don't look the directors in the eyes while your singing, doing a monologue, or a cold reading. Find a spot on the wall above them, so if you have to look out you can just look at that. Also, and this is kind of mean for me to say, but there will probably be someone worse than you auditioning. I mean, personally I try to go after them so I look better in comparison, but just having someone there that isn't doing great makes me feel better. Make sure you use a lot of projection and diction. Good luck! Make sure to leave a response so I know how it went :D

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]