The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
audition tips for kids? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post audition tips for kids?
Hi - I have 2 girls trying out, ages 7 and 11. I was wondering what audition tips you can give? what do directors look for? They are not supposed to prepare a song; they are only going to be asked to sing something basic like "Twinkle twinkle little star" for the audition. (It is for a high school production; nothing professional.) I am a little worried for my 11 yr. old, because she is 5'1" and probably too tall for Briggita (louisa will be played by a high schooler). My 7 yr. old will go for marta, or possibly gretyl. They are usally well prepared with a song, but since none is required, what else can i do to prepare them?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

To speak clearly and respond to questions asked by the audition team, and to listen carefully and follow directions. And make sure they know it might not be about how talented they are... sometimes stuff like height or hair color is the deciding factor, right or wrong.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:24 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Height is kind-of important, but not ABSOLUTE in this show...she still has a shot...

I would make sure that they have fun...A lot of kids look absolutely petrified at auditions. It's the ones who have fun and look relaxed that usually do the best...

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

For your 11 year old, at 5'1" she still could have a great shot at Brigitta. If Louisa and Liesl will be played by high schoolers this is a large possiblity that they may be taller then 5'1".

Our Brigitta was 13 years old (the same as our Louisa) and was the same height as your daughter. Louisa and Leisl were 5'3" and 5'5" respectfully, so it worked well.

As Jazzy said, height does not rule out anything, though traditionally directors may like to have the children cast so that when they are in their formal line, they are in height order by age.

Just tell your daughters to display confidence. Speak and sing clearly and try to keep a clear focus when singing. Many children who audition tend to let their nerves get the best of them and instead of focusing their gaze on those whom they are auditioning for, they tend to set their focus to high or too low or even let their eyes dart off to the side. If your daughters sing with confidence and display a good posture and eye focus, they should do beautifully.

Best of luck to them.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]