The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Did you Ever notice... 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Did you Ever notice...
that everyone auditioning wants to be Leisel or Maria... or even Elsa...

I mean no one wants to be the Mother Abbess, I was the mother abbess recently and I had a blast in the role. I must stand up for the rev mother because many people think the role is going to be extreamly boring, when in truth it is very fun.

- The Steward Cinderella
- Virginia/ Can-Can Dancer Oklahoma
- The Mother Abbess The Sound of Music

Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:15 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I agree...she's got the best song!Besides,she's the teacher of the show...the one with the advice...

-Sweeney Todd

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:55 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I have to admit, "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" brings the house down EVERY TIME!

(Not to mention, that it always makes me cry when I'm on stage! LOL!)

There's something so powerful about Mother Abbess and how she guides Maria. She's a more complex character than people give her credit for.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:20 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I wanted to be Mother Abbess. Unfortunately, as youth theatre works, the girl who got the role was the director's niece and an absolute disaster--she had recently played Kim Macafee in a high school production of Bye Bye Birdie and sounded like Kim Macafee was playing Mother Abbess.

I did get the role of Sister Berthe. There's something strangely satisfying about getting to play a bit of a bitchy role.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:53 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In my grade school production of The Sound of Music, this one girl was cast as Mother Abbess. Well, she was so upset that she didn't get Maria, and she went home and cried to her mom about it. Her mom complained to the director and THEY CAST HER AS MARIA! We had to create another cast around her, so we ended up triple casting the whole play!

She was just too selfish to realize what a great role she had in the first place...

The Wizard of Oz (Glinda)
Beauty and the Beast (Chip)
Annie (Lily)
Cinderella (Cinderella)
The Sound of Music (Liesl)

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:14 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

[quote="alexxboyle"]In my grade school production of The Sound of Music, this one girl was cast as Mother Abbess. Well, she was so upset that she didn't get Maria, and she went home and cried to her mom about it. Her mom complained to the director and THEY CAST HER AS MARIA! We had to create another cast around her, so we ended up triple casting the whole play!

She was just too selfish to realize what a great role she had in the first place...[/quote]

That's terrible! That's a HUGE director..."no, no" or something! lol

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:23 pm
Post Response to alexxboyle
Wow, that really IS terrible!! I'd be happy if I got in at all!! Was she any good as Maria?

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:52 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I can understand why not everybody would react well, from my own personal experience. I've always been cast in older, matronly roles, simply because I have a "mature" voice. It's not that I can't sing the young roles, because I believe I can, but nobody else can sing the older roles, since they all sound like twelve-year-old poptarts (oh, the joys of high school theatre!). It gets kind of hurtful to constantly be passed up for the young, beautiful lead. In fact, I have often cried over perfectly decent roles, simply because they were not the roles I really wanted. But complaining to the director is completely unprofessional. Either accept the role, or quit. If you're able to get past that initial upset when the cast list is posted, you'll likely find your roles more exciting and interesting than you thought possible. In my opinion, you're not an amazing actor untill you can steal the show in any role, with or without lines.

The Past:Interviewer #1, The Interview; Wanda, Unbeatable Harold; Mrs. Pearce, MFL; Fruma Sarah, Fiddler on the Roof
The Present: UVic Theatre Major
The Future: Crack-ho?

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:42 pm

I can understand why not everybody would react well, from my own personal experience. I've always been cast in older, matronly roles, simply because I have a "mature" voice. It's not that I can't sing the young roles, because I believe I can, but nobody else can sing the older roles, since they all sound like twelve-year-old poptarts (oh, the joys of high school theatre!). It gets kind of hurtful to constantly be passed up for the young, beautiful lead. In fact, I have often cried over perfectly decent roles, simply because they were not the roles I really wanted. But complaining to the director is completely unprofessional. Either accept the role, or quit. If you're able to get past that initial upset when the cast list is posted, you'll likely find your roles more exciting and interesting than you thought possible. In my opinion, you're not an amazing actor untill you can steal the show in any role, with or without lines.

I couldn't have said that better myself! Spoken like a true professional!

And BTW, I saw your MFL pics and you look like you're having a genuine blast! Bust some appendages! :)

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:15 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I just auditioned for her myself in a local production. Got called back too. Unfortunately, when I got to the callbacks, I realized that I was by far the youngest one going for that role. The woman who ended up getting cast has done the Mother Abbess 2 times already; she's awesome.

I have, however, been asked to sing "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" at some community outreach performances that our theatre is doing promote the show, which is very cool.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:50 am

^And I bet you are going to be AMAZING!!!!!!!! :)

That is one of the best inspirational songs in musical theatre...I can't get through it without crying!

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:31 am

Main Role: Performer
Elsa is the only role worth playing for a woman. (and shut up Jazzy. :lol: )

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next