The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
My illegal SOM expierence (sciprt additions) 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post My illegal SOM expierence (sciprt additions)
I had the oddest, and most illegal, SOM experience of ANYONE on this board. Now, my director, unlike most, likes to change things. Change a line the audience "won't get", even though it's been like that when he saw the show 40 years ago. Deleate a scene, or even a whole speech, or song. But this time he went OVERBOARD!

The director not only added lots from the film, but added every song from the film that wasn't in the musical. He also gave Franz more lines, basing them off of Maria's books. (it got to over 4 hours in rehearsals, before I convinced the director to cut the parts about after they left Austria, bringing it down to 3 and 1/2, an hour more then the musical is supposed to be) He even gave Franz and Frau Schmidt a love song :shock: (what FUN my brother had singing to the girl, who incidentally, he secretly liked!) The nazis came in at the end of act 1 (with a whole parade, in full uniform), and got a song called "heil Hitler", and another one I forget. (not including the 2 songs the Admiral and Zeller got) The scene had the children and Maria at the parade "by order of the big man himself", I quote from the script.

The Admiral, instead of the telegraph exchange got a song called "a Captain's work is never done". ALL of these new things were written by the director himself. I however, took out one line, where I screamed at Greatel. A man can not be THAT cruel to a small child, I told him. Zeller also got 2 songs, and the two were both there at the Festival scene, which turned out O.K.. The director then had us chase the Von Trapps, like the script says. One HUGE change, was an ending that the director's wife wrote, in which I, the admiral, execute the Captain, and Zeller kills Maria, and the SS kill the children. Gretel got the saddest song however, a reprise of "favorite things" mixed with "climb every mountain". To top it all off, Max is found, and along with Elsa, killed, and then the Admiral remarks "Der Horror! Der Horror! Was habe ich getan? Was habe ich getan?" (The horror! The horror! What have I done? What have I done?), and partakes in the Japanese ritual of ritual suicide, with a gun, whilst singing a old German funeral song with Zeller. The two, now dead, exit, and the show ends with Rolf saying "The sound of music, is gone." We actually used the ending in one show, in which the audience wept for about 20 mins. I'll get that portion of the script up sometime.

Mind you, no one cared. In fact, the next year, when another school put on the show, they telephoned me, and asked me why my song wasn't in their edition, and why theirs was an hour shorter. :roll:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:27 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: My illegal SOM expierence (sciprt additions)
I never thought Duchess would make an alternate account. I have been proved wrong.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: My illegal SOM expierence (sciprt additions)
ActingDude17 wrote:
I never thought Duchess would make an alternate account. I have been proved wrong.

What do you mean? Is this good or bad?

comped

PS: I'm not an alt for anyone...

Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]