The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dubbing 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

- Darleen Carrr, Charmian's sister, dubbed in Kurt's high note for Duane Chase in "So Long, Farewell".
- Bill Lee dubbed in Christopher Plummer's songs.
- There seems to be some doubt as to who dubbed in for Peggy Wood: Marni Nixon (Sister Sophia), or someone else. I've heard another name mentioned, but I forget whose.

Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:26 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Plummer being dubbed is just a rumour. That, and Andrews being dubbed in her first song. That went around for a whiile and turned out to be false.

The children did their own singing, and probably double-tracked them to fill out sound, if needed.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In "Forever, Liesl" (and I think she repeats it in her sequel, "Letters to Liesl") Charmian Carr says the the 7 children each did their own individual singing. 4 other children (including Charmian Carr's younger sister) sang along with them when they all sang together to give it a fuller sound. And Charmian Carr's younger sister sang Kurt's high note in So Long, Farewell.

Last edited by Baker on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:27 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I just don't buy the fact that the dubbing of Kurt's high note in So Long, Farewell was some big secret. After he hits the note clearly way out of his range, and in a clearly female voice, Captain Von Trapp rolls his eyes and waves him off.... clearly saying, "Whatever Kurt, we all know that's not you."

Does anyone disagree with me on this. Watch the scene again!

Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Well...Christopher Plummer prerecorded his songs before shooting began. Robert Wise and the production team always intended to dub Plummer's singing, so he fought to keep his singing voice in the picture. He prerecorded all of his songs (yes, including the two versions of Edelweiss), and so he sang to a playback when they were shooting the film. After filming was complete, the production team allowed Plummer to re-record his vocal tracks, because he had worked on his voice with the vocal coach and so hoped his voice had improved. Eventually the production team felt his voice wasn't strong enough, so they drafted in Bill Lee to ghost Plummer's singing. As such you hear Bill Lee providing the singing voice of Captain von Trapp in the film.
And as for Marni Nixon, this was one of the rarre occasions where she made a cameo appearance, and made use of her singing voice.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:17 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Lee dubbed Plummer in everyhing except edleweiss. listen close you will see the difference.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Are you sure he didn't dub him in all the songs? Christopher sounds fine in Edelweiss, if that was him - there would be no reason to dub him.

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quote:
Several key members of the cast had their singing voices dubbed by others. Peggy Wood, who played Mother Abbess and received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress for this movie, was dubbed by Margery McKay after she found that she couldn't handle the high registers of Climb Ev'ry Mountain. Anna Lee, who played Sister Margaretta, was dubbed by Marie Greene.

Originally Christopher Plummer was slated to do his own singing, but although he trained during the film and post-recorded his singing vocals,[3] Robert Wise and the creative team felt his voice, although good, wasn't good enough alongside the excellent voice of Julie Andrews. Plummer agreed with the assessment, so they enlisted the services of Bill Lee to "ghost" Christopher Plummer's singing.

There were once rumors that some or all of the children's voices were dubbed.[citation needed] Director Robert Wise insists that none of their voices were dubbed, though at times other children's voices were added to theirs for a stronger effect; the extra singers included Randy Perkins, Diane Burt, Darlene Farnon (a.k.a. Darlene Carr) and Sue McBain. Additionally, Farnon, sister of Charmian Carr, who played Liesl, sang the high note for Duane Chase, who played Kurt, in the song, So Long, Farewell, because it was well beyond his vocal range.

The movie features a rare on-screen performance by Marni Nixon, who plays Sister Sophia and is well known to have dubbed the singing voices for many famous movie stars such as Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady and Natalie Wood in West Side Story. Since Nixon had dubbed My Fair Lady after Andrews had played Eliza in the stage version and was not selected for the film:[4]

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:56 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

[quote="Mark Walton"]- Darleen Carrr, Charmian's sister, dubbed in Kurt's high note for Duane Chase in "So Long, Farewell".
- There seems to be some doubt as to who dubbed in for Peggy Wood: Marni Nixon (Sister Sophia), or someone else. I've heard another name mentioned, but I forget whose.[/quote]

Margery McKay, the wife of the rehearsal pianist Harper McKay, was drafted in to dub for Peggy Wood because Wood was in her seventies and her voice was gone.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mark Walton wrote:
- Darleen Carrr, Charmian's sister, dubbed in Kurt's high note for Duane Chase in "So Long, Farewell".
- There seems to be some doubt as to who dubbed in for Peggy Wood: Marni Nixon (Sister Sophia), or someone else. I've heard another name mentioned, but I forget whose.

Margery McKay, the wife of the rehearsal pianist Harper McKay, was drafted in to dub for Peggy Wood because Wood was in her seventies and her voice was gone.

No, Nixon did that.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Andy.[/quote]

Please forgive me for writing back again. Marni Nixon actually played the part of Sister Sophia on screen itself and did her own singing. I have the Hirsch book on the film of SOM, it mentions Margery MacKay as the singing voice of Mother Abbess.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I know Nixon was in the film. I was also told that she dubbed Peggy. Oh well.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:17 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next