Dubbing 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

[semi-hijack] I would be so offended if I had to be dubbed [/semi-hijack]

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Provided I could sing and act, I would not be in a musical if they were planning to dub my singing. That's just riddiculous. I mean, why cast someone if they can't do their own singing?

Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
The actor signs the contract first..they dont decide on dubbing till post production. you would have no choice in the end.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:18 am
Profile WWW

That sucks. I'm glad that the producers and everything nowadays first look if an actor can sing and dance before signing them on. (Chicago, Moulin Rouge) Thank goodness.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:49 am
Profile WWW

That sucks. I'm glad that the producers and everything nowadays first look if an actor can sing and dance before signing them on. (Chicago, Moulin Rouge) Thank goodness.

they dubbed a few people in moulin Rouge and Phantom.

besides some people like Chris Plummer or Juanita hall were dubbed even though they COULD sing!

Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Eva Gardner was REALLY pissed about Showboat. and Natalie Wood didn't know she's been dubbed until the first screening of WSS.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:17 am
Profile WWW

Eva Gardner was REALLY pissed about Showboat. and Natalie Wood didn't know she's been dubbed until the first screening of WSS.

And the story about Audrey Hepburn finding out she was being dubbed on MFL is always interesting. She had been told she would be singing the role...The day she found out that Marni Nixon would be singing most of it, she lost her cool...then the next day on set, she came and apologized to everyone...She's the picture of class. I love Audrey!

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:50 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

and the story of Deborah Kerr "outing" marni Nixon at some press junket for King & I - Marni was signed to secrecy or ELSE - they still tried to punish her or fire her or something - but it was Kerr who had told and wouldn't let them break marni's contract over it.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:54 am
Profile WWW

and the story of Deborah Kerr "outing" marni Nixon at some press junket for King & I - Marni was signed to secrecy or ELSE - they still tried to punish her or fire her or something - but it was Kerr who had told and wouldn't let them break marni's contract over it.

I love that story!

Dubbing was definitely grossly abused in those days. People who had done shows on Broadway at the time were being dubbed when in a film, which is pretty ridiculous!

And I feel kinda sorry for Marni Nixon...She always sang for everyone, but really didn't get any face time on screen...

Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:41 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

And I feel kinda sorry for Marni Nixon...She always sang for everyone, but really didn't get any face time on screen...

She played a nun. I think Sister Margeretta.

To answer the true question. In the book "Forever Lesiel" (written by Charmain Carr) The children weren't dubbed but there voices were "enhanced."
Which means the actors did all their recordings, then they brought in proffesionals to go over their singing to make it more clean and full. Which sounds like dubbing to me.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:03 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I thought there were no professionals, just more kids to fill out the sound? It's still the actual kids with a few more voices thrown it, isn't it? I'm so confused, it feels like everything I've ever known- I never really knew.

And Charmain Carr wrote a book? I must read this book!

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Okay, in case anyone ever wondered how much I love SOM, here's your answer:
Yesterday morning I borrowed "Forever Liesl" from the library. By 5:00, I was about halfway through, decided I had to buy the movie (because I still didn't own a copy). Searched 6 (count 'em, 6) stores to find it. Found it, 2 hours after the search began. Watched up till the wedding, went to bed, then finished reading the book, just a few minutes before midnight. This is the first book I've ever finished in one day on my first reading. Got up today, skipped my first class to finish watching the movie, proceeded to sing "My Favourite Things" the rest of the day.

In case anybody cares; I adore the book, it was fantastic! It made me laugh, and brought me pathetically close to tears sometimes. Wonderful thing.
Oh, and I learned her name is Charmian, not Charmain. Useful thing to know.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next