The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Something Good vs Ordinary Couple 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Something Good vs Ordinary Couple
I noticed while browsing that in the 1998 Broadway Revival of the Sound of Music, they used the song 'Something Good' from the movie version to replace 'Ordinary Couple' as the duet between the Captain and Maria. I was just curious if that was a permanent alteration made to the musical score. My High School will be putting on SOM this Spring, and I would like to know if there is any way of knowing one or the other which song will be used.

Past Roles:
Stage Manager - Our Town
Penelope Toop - See How They Run
Elsa Schraeder - The Sound of Music
Girl 2 & Woman 8 - Les Miserables
Mrs. Worthington-Worthington - Me and My Girl

Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Most likely, your HS will get the rights to use "Something Good" in place of "Ordinary Couple"...I think Ordinary Couple isn't as intimate and touching and simple as Something Good is. The thing I like the most about Something Good is that both characters realize their own insecurities and it's like they are truly discovering each other for the first time...Like they are truly realizing something that's been in front of them for awhile.

Ordinary Couple just seems too light...and is very much a throw-away in my book...And don't worry...the music for "Ordinary Couple" (if you love it) is underscoring a lot of the wedding prep scene that follows the Maria/Captain love scene...

And when the auditions come up and you have any questions, please post them at the sticky thread called "Audition Assistance" at the top of this forum...I get kinda upset when people think their individual auditions are more important than reading older threads that ask the same questions OVER and OVER!

Welcome to the SOM forum! :)

Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:13 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I've actually already posted under the 'Audition Assistance' thread at the top of the forum, and my question was answered. You'll find that, unlike some people, I pay acute attention to details and direction.

But, thank you for answerng this question. I personally prefer 'Something Good' to 'Ordinary Couple' as well. 'Ordinary Couple' is far to bland, in my opinion. I am hoping that the director chooses 'Something Good' over it.

Past Roles:
Stage Manager - Our Town

Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

"Something Good" is always the way to go over "Ordinary Couple." At risk of being clichéd, the latter is just too ordinary.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:35 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Dooby dooby doo
I agree that "Something Good" is a far better song overall than "An Ordinary Couple" but I do think that the latter is largely let down by its arrangement. Even so, "Something Good" is really great in taking the characters forward in terms of narrative as well as being less sticky and sentimental.

I do, however, feel that "An Ordinary Couple" is slightly more rooted in the characters than "Something Good", which could really be about almost any couple or any individual encountering a new, unexpected relationship. I always thought that Sinatra could have done a fabulous big band version of this song.

Later days
David

Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Well, I suppose I'll find out soon. I just discovered that the auditions for the show are in a week, which is quite exciting. I'll be auditioning for Maria, Liesl, and Elsa, so, I'll make sure to keep all those who might be interested posted on what happens. I'll also be able to say for certain which song the director has decided to use.

Past Roles:
Stage Manager - Our Town

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:14 pm
Profile WWW

So have you auditioned already, Cosina? Hope all goes well...

Do you know exactly which song they decided to go with?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:09 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Well, the cast list has gone up. I didn't get Maria, however.... I got Elsa! As you can imagine, I'm pretty excited *_* This will be my first lead role.

I still don't know which song we will be using, however, I think the director is going to try and keep it pretty 'traditional'. Its likely that we will be using "Ordinary Couple" and not "Something Good".

Once again, I'm extremely happy. If anyone would like to offer advice on playing the Baroness, please do so. All comments will be appreciated!

Past Roles:
Stage Manager - Our Town

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:25 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Yay!
Cosima wrote:
I got Elsa! As you can imagine, I'm pretty excited *_* This will be my first lead role.

Congratulations!

Later days
David

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:47 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

She looks like tons of fun to play. Break a leg (or two).

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thanks guys! I got my script today (Early to. We were told we would have to wait until next week, however, the director is also my choir director, and she was handing them out to the leads.), and we are, indeed, using "Ordinary Couple" and not "Something Good". I'm not entirely sure what I think about that, other than to say that its not my number, so I really don't have to worry about it xD

Rehearsals start -after- Christmas break. Its going to be a long two weeks. Ugh.

Past Roles:
Stage Manager - Our Town

Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:28 pm
Profile WWW

in my production we did SOMETHING GOOD, which really confused me because the director said that he wanted it to be as different from the movie as possible. :?: he also added CONFIDENCE in. :? although i was happy because being in the children's chorus meant that CONFIDENCE and the wedding scene would be my only two scenes..... :( (i was an altar boy at the wedding) :roll:

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next