The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Favourite recordings outside the film soundtrack 

Which Sound of Music recording is your favourite?
The original Broadway version with Mary Martin 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
The film soundtrack with Dame Julie Andrews 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
The 1987 Telarc studio cast with Frederica von Stade 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
The 1998 Broadway revival with Rebecca Luker 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

Favourite recordings outside the film soundtrack 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Favourite recordings outside the film soundtrack
It would be interesting to discuss the subject of favourite Sound of Music recordings, as we have not yet discussed it.
A great many of us are very fond of the 40-year-old film and its soundtrack with Dame Julie Andrews, while an equally great many are just as fond of the original Broadway cast recording with Mary Martin. They provide different experiences and different perspectives for us to view the musical.
Of the five recordings I own, I consider the 1998 Broadway revival with Rebecca Luker to be my most favourite recording. It strikes me as a well-balanced version that pays homage to the different versions of the musical. The performances are lively and spirited, headed by a soaring Rebecca Luker as Maria, and the revised orchestrations are just as great. Yet each individual recording has merits that stand out for many fans, and all of them are equally well-produced. For me, I am fond of the 1999 Australian versions of Do-Re-Mi and Climb Every Mountain, and of the 1987 Telarc version because of its swelling version of the wedding scene and the closing scene. And yes it boasts a cheerful and free-spirited Lonely Goatherd paying homage to the film's up-tempo rendition of the song.
I am introducing a poll in this thread so that you can both vote for your favourite recording and choose to give comments on your choice. It would be interesting to encounter many different views on this subhect.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:31 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

My favorite is definitely the original! Max and Elsa sound the best in their two songs, "How Can Love Survive" and (I can't remember the other one, woops!) are the greatest songs from the entire show!

Bat Boy: The Musical (Bat Boy)
Beauty and the Beast (LeFou)
Godspell (Jesus)
Fiddler on the Roof (Motel Kamzoil)

Last edited by aktor28 on Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
My favorite is definately the original!

Did you know there is no "a" in "definitely"?

Oh wait, I guess I just answered my own question...

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Thanks, I'll go edit that then. Anyways, staying on topic, I remember the name to Max and Elsa's songs:

How Can Love Survive?
and
No Way to Stop It

Bat Boy: The Musical (Bat Boy)
Beauty and the Beast (LeFou)
Godspell (Jesus)
Fiddler on the Roof (Motel Kamzoil)

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:45 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It's not just the singers - it's the orchestra as well, and its conductor, especially in a "kid-heavy" musical like SOM. That's where movie conductor Irwin Kostal comes off tops - he was obviouly very sensitive towards the kids, and managed to key his orchestra's power to the kids' varying degrees of exuberance (usually high). That ranged from minimum and slowed to a crawl for Gretl in "So Long, Farewell", through moderate most of the time, to max power on the final chorus of "Do-Re-Mi", and almost everywhere else in between. Irwin's track record, available on the internet Movie Database at http://www.imdb.com, included a lot of musical films that either directly or indirectly involved kids, including "Mary Poppins" only a year or so before SOM.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:33 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post 1998 Revival
I don't have the 1998 Revival album and wanted to know if the Wedding Processional is different to the original production. At the Tony Awards, the wedding ceremony was accompanied by "Climb Every Mountain" rather than the "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" counterpoint. Is that the way it was in the show? And on the album? Interested to know and all the previews of the track I can find online are only the first 30 seconds!

Later days
David

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:11 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
any version without How Can Love Survive and No Way to Stop it suck.

the best is still the OBC Kurt Kasner and Marion Marlowe are great as max and Elsa.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: 1998 Revival
[quote="RainbowJude"]I don't have the 1998 Revival album and wanted to know if the Wedding Processional is different to the original production. At the Tony Awards, the wedding ceremony was accompanied by "Climb Every Mountain" rather than the "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" counterpoint. Is that the way it was in the show? And on the album? Interested to know and all the previews of the track I can find online are only the first 30 seconds!

Later days
David[/quote]

Thank God for YouTube because I chanced to see a clip of the Tony Awards ceremony of the SOM revival. I know it's not part of the CD, and this sequence was actually specially adapted for the Tony performance. The music is the same, including the Confitemini Domino and Alleluia bits, except that there's a little extra at the beginning. The incidental music incorporates Something Good, which is just as well since this production cut the pedestrian Ordinary Couple duet.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]