The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Roles With No Tap Dancing 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Roles With No Tap Dancing
Hello. Could someone please tell me of female roles that don't have any tap dancing? I can sing and act, but have had little dance experience.

Thanks!

Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Usually, Mrs. Harcourt doesn't have any dancing..but is moderately demanding when it comes to acting. She doesn't sing a whole lot-but is still a great role!

Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:33 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

It will vary from production to production. Our Mrs Harcourt doesn't tap; all the other females do, although they're not all wearing taps. Hope doesn't have solo tap, but may be part of Anything Goes, and Erma/Bonnie (depending on which version you're doing) has a soft-shoe in Buddie Beware but again, no solo tap, but our Erma is in Anything Goes as well.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:11 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
In our version we have a "Tap Corps", who I'm pretty sure is doing all of the tap in the show. I'm playing Reno and I know I don't have to tap in our production. I don't think our Hope has to tap either. Not certain about Erma though.

Currently playing: Nothing at the moment
Last role played: Mrs. Ethel Chauvenet in "Harvey"
Auditioning for: "The Miss Firecracker Contest", "Spring Awakening", and "Always... Patsy Cline"

Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: Roles With No Tap Dancing
The production I was involved in did the '62 version. The bulk of the tapping was done by the Angels, as well as the sailors and other chorus members in the big group numbers. Let's Step Out and Heaven Hop both featured Bonnie in tap, backed up by the Angels, and the chorus in Let's Step Out. Reno's tap was pretty limited (meaning only in one or two of the group numbers), and Evelyn did tap some in the group numbers as well. Billy, Hope, Moonface, Mrs. Harcourt, Elisha, the Captian, the Purser, the Steward, and the Bishop did not tap. Ching and Ling doubled as sailors, so as sailors they tapped, but as Ching and Ling they did not.

I know this is way after the fact and your production is over, but for future reference, that's what we had going on in the '62 version, and it worked well.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]