The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Dancing Chemistry? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Dancing Chemistry?
So I'm playing Hope in my college production of the '62 version of Anything Goes and Billy and I just learned our choreography for "It's Delovely". Our director wants the song more intense and sensual rather than light and flirty. So there's a lot of pretty intimate physical contact (nothing crude or vulgar) in the dance, but our Billy was awkward about the whole thing. I don't have a problem with it at all and was wondering if anyone had any advise on what I can do to make him feel more comfortable and creating the chemistry that is vital to our characters? He's a great actor (and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt considering this was our first time running through it), but I think he's just nervous about this part of the show, which is not so great... Any ideas?

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:39 am

This isn't specific to dancing, but I was in a show where the director wanted me and this guy to have more chemistry, and it just wasn't naturally there. Here are some tips I got from people when I was going through it.

People suggested doing something difficult together like changing a tire, going on a scavenger hunt, taking a difficult hike, cooking an elaborate meal and keeping it a secret, not telling other people you are doing it. (Unless it's the hike, since hiking without telling someone where you are going is dangerous.) This was supposed to make there be a special secret or special event, or just a bonding experience that you two share. It helps bring you closer together as people which will naturally translate on the stage.

Someone suggested the a scavenger hunt where you had to run around and take pictures of certain things or places and than they hung the pictures up at the theatre. The pair were the only two who knew what the pictures meant.

You could also agree to trade secrets, another way to feel closer to the person. Make sure they aren't HUGE secrets (which, if shared, can make things uncomfortable.)

Hope that helps!

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
When we did Delovely at my school last year (I was Hope as well) I was really nervous about the entire dance and especially the kiss. The guy who was Billy sat me down and said, "it's only awkward if you make it that way. It's only a big deal, if you make it one. you are very talented and you can make this work."

and from then on, it was not awkward :D I know it sounds kind of childish but, sitting him down and talking about it with him might help.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:51 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
This isn't specific to dancing, but I was in a show where the director wanted me and this guy to have more chemistry, and it just wasn't naturally there. Here are some tips I got from people when I was going through it.

People suggested doing something difficult together like changing a tire, going on a scavenger hunt, taking a difficult hike, cooking an elaborate meal and keeping it a secret, not telling other people you are doing it. (Unless it's the hike, since hiking without telling someone where you are going is dangerous.) This was supposed to make there be a special secret or special event, or just a bonding experience that you two share. It helps bring you closer together as people which will naturally translate on the stage.

Someone suggested the a scavenger hunt where you had to run around and take pictures of certain things or places and than they hung the pictures up at the theatre. The pair were the only two who knew what the pictures meant.

You could also agree to trade secrets, another way to feel closer to the person. Make sure they aren't HUGE secrets (which, if shared, can make things uncomfortable.)

Hope that helps!

All great suggestions!
When I played charlotte in oliver (sorry I feel like I bring this up all the time, makes me sound desperate, lol), which is a super-flirty part I was like :|. I was very awkward and I had a few issues becoming comfortable with the flirting, sensual-ness and chemistry..

But you know what helped.. Seriously, just learning more about the guy playing Noah. See if you can hang out sometime and learn about each other. Hopefully, with a more comfortable connection between you two, the acting of the chemistry should just "flow" better.

Good luck and congrats on getting the part!

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Wow. These are all great suggestions! Thanks so much!

Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:33 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
I agree with the person that said you need to get to know the person better. It really does help. When I was in Oklahoma!, things were not awkward between the guy playing Curly and myself because he was just this extremely nice, outgoing guy. Even though I never met him before, he introduced himself and asked me questions about myself, and we were very comfortable with eachother and would talk about things, like even the kisses ("you go this way, I go that way"). And he would ask when we get offstage.."what did you think, how did you feel about that" etc. When I played in Anything Goes, it wasn't as strong of a connection with Billy because we rarely ever spoke offstage. I think it was because we were both kind of shy people and have trouble starting conversations with people we don't know well. So I felt it was much more forced in that show and like it wasn't as much of a team effort, but two idividual efforts. It's much more rewarding if it's a team effort.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]