The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
ANYTHING GOES - Back to Broadway with Reba McEntire (?) 

Reba McEntire as Reno Sweeney?
Yes! 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Maybe... 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
No! 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 15

ANYTHING GOES - Back to Broadway with Reba McEntire (?) 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post ANYTHING GOES - Back to Broadway with Reba McEntire (?)
Playbill has announced that Anything Goes may be headed back to Broadway starring Reba McEntire as Reno Sweeney under the direction of Kathleen Marshall for the Roundabout Theatre Company. Marshall tends to hit or miss, so I guess it'll be interesting to see what she comes up with for Anything Goes, a return to the Porter oevre after her production of Kiss Me, Kate. I wonder which book and score elements with be used - the article mentions the 1987 update (the Patti LuPone / Elaine Paige revival) and I suppose the production will be based on that.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'd love for there to be a revival, but Reba? She's way to old and the only reason she could play Annie Oakley is because she didn't really have to act that much.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Main Role: Other...
As much as Reba is pretty good, I can def. not see her as Reno.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer

Last edited by Salome on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:02 pm
Profile WWW

I hate everything about her..her voice, looks,accent,political party, and above all her lack of acting ability.

and besides its too soon for another Anything Goes.

there are Better Cole Porter shows to be revived. DuBarry Was a Lady,Can-Can,Silk Stockings,50 Million Frenchemen,Out of This World.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:03 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Other...
I hate everything about her..her voice, looks,accent,political party, and above all her lack of acting ability.

and besides its too soon for another Anything Goes.

there are Better Cole Porter shows to be revived. DuBarry Was a Lady,Can-Can,Silk Stockings,50 Million Frenchemen,Out of This World.

I totally agree on the more Cole Porter shows to be revived...I'd love to see Can-Can.

And yes, I totally agree on that it's too soon for an Anything Goes revival.

The only reason I think Reba is pretty good is because the TV show makes me laugh - but I often wonder how "authentic" her character is because of it being the same name-my guess is not very.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:08 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Revivals / OUT OF THIS WORLD
Salome wrote:
It's too soon for another Anything Goes. There are better Cole Porter shows to be revived. DuBarry Was a Lady, Can-Can, Silk Stockings, 50 Million Frenchmen, Out of This World.

It has been 20 years since the last full scale Broadway revival of the show. There are many shows that have revivals within shorter periods these days, so I think it's fair enough that the show is making a return to Broadway - and it seems the most logical choice if you're going to produce a Porter considering the economic climate and the scale of a Broadway production.

I really wanted to get into discussing the other shows mentioned here, but I've run out of time this morning. But for a start:

Out of this World has a few fantastic Porter numbers ("Nobody's Chasing Me", "I Sleep Easier Now" and so on) and his lyrics for the show are witty and particularly suggestive. But the book is no great shakes - although I'm not sure what the revised version from San Francisco is like. Still, I don't see it playing a full scale commercial run on Broadway. It's an average old school musical comedy bedroom farce where the book fills the gaps between the songs, and a full scale Broadway revival would just reveal the weaknesses that were apparent even in the context in which it first played. It was not one of Porter's greater successes, running for 157 performances (compared to, for example, the 420 performances that Anything Goes had in its original run). Even from a non-commercial perspective, I'd never say it was a better show overall that Anything Goes.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:19 pm
Profile WWW

Many people..including me feel Out of this World is Porter's best score. Robert Kimbal puts it above Kiss Me Kate. and with book revisions it needs a 2nd chance.

Anything goes as good as it is..is more a typical musical comedy of the 30s than Out of this world is of the 50s.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Anything Goes is much more likely to get a large audience though. I love the idea of a revival, but I hate the idea of Reba as Reno, i could probably think of over one thousand people better suited.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:57 am

I dont like the idea of reviving sows just to make money. revivals should be done to bring awareness to shows that many people dont know. after all thats how ANything Goes became popular again in 1962.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:03 am
Profile WWW

:O

I do not think that would work.. Reno is supposed to be younger.. *researches* and Reba is 53! And she's supposed to be sexy.. I just don't think Reba has the right look, let alone the acting skills to pull it off.

But hey, she may surprise us all and do it great.

But I still can think of plenty of other actresses that would suit the role much more. And there would be plenty of wonderful unknowns. Oh well.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
besides its too soon for another Anything Goes.

I second that. The girls I hang with were talking about it earlier this week and were thrilled, but I told them that there was one only 20 years ago. I pointed out that although I adore AG, Sweeney, and Gypsy, they are revived a bit too often. Just a bit.

Plus McIntire would suck as Reno.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next