The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Reno Sweeney character? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Reno Sweeney character?
My school is performing this next spring and I've never heard of it until I started researching it. But I haven't been able to gather much info. I plan to audition for the role of Reno because simply, I've never tried to audition for a lead before. So I hope someone can explain her character and the way she sings so that I can see if it's right for me.

Also.. this is a stupid thing to ask but, this show will be my first musical (I've only done alot of plays), so can someone explain the audition process to me for musicals? Do you choose whatever song you want or does it have to be from the show, when you audition?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Okay..Reno is a belter. More likely an alto, but can really be played by any voice part as long as you have a strong belt. You have to be able to carry a show and learn many songs. You should be a decent dancer. Reno is a nightclub evangelist. She's a pretty spicy, witty woman.

I don't know what else I should say about her.

As for auditioning for musicals....it varies by director. Most likely you will have to prepare either 16 or 32 bars of a musical theater show. Most people actually frown upon using a song from the actual show, although, it is good to use a song from the same composer or at least one of a similar style. For Reno....definitely make sure that you show of your belty voice. Other times...high school directors will teach you a song from the show. OR....if you get a callback, THEN you'll learn the song from the show.

Mrs. Dobbs in "A Christmas Carol" (Dec. 11-14)

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]