The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Hope Harcourt...help please. 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Hope Harcourt...help please.
I will be playing the role of Hope Harcourt in my High School's production of Anything Goes. I know that being whiny is a part of her character to a point, but I'm having a hard time making her not overbearing and making her more than just a whiny baby. I'm trying to capture the fun wild side of the character and having a hard time. On one hand, I'm thrilled to be Hope because she's the second biggest female role and has some songs that suit my voice nicely, but I'm having trouble making her a fun memorable character. Tips, please?

Also...Evelyn basically drags me into the "meeting" thing that includes the song "Blow, Gabriel, Blow". We just learned the dance (more like coordinate movements) for this song. My character obviously doesn't want to be there. How do I stay true to my character's emotions without making it look like I don't know the dance or care to do it correctly?

P.S. I'm doing the 1987 version.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:39 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
I'm going to take a page out of Salome's book. I suggest asking your director. that's why they're there.
If that doesn't work... then come back here lol.
and do whatever you think Hope would do. Put yourself in her head.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

hey sadness, who's Salome? And btw, break a leg as Hope person who made this topic!

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:32 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

hey sadness, who's Salome? And btw, break a leg as Hope person who made this topic!

never mind, I figured out who Salome is already.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:36 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
I'm currently playing Hope and wondered the same thing about the Blow Gabe scene. I eventually decided that by the time the dance comes, it's not so much that she doesn't want to be there. I'm doing the 60's version, so it might be a little different, but by the time the dance comes, Billy has already admitted to everyone on board that he isn't Snake Eyes. So then, Hope is happy that he told the truth and isn't so opposed to the revival gathering thing, hehe. She is upset when he gets arrested of course, but after he gets arrested I yell "Billy!" and then kind of dissapear back into the crowd before the dance starts. Then I just dance like everbody else. Hope this makes sense and helps.

As far as making her more interesting, I asked the same question on this board a few weeks ago. I wanted to spice her up a little. I don't really think she is so whiny, as you say, but she's just caught in a lot of situations that she has grounds to be upset about (1987 may be different in that respect). To try to balance it out..I try to make her really fun and alive when she's with Billy. It shows the audience that that's where her heart really is, and that's where she is really herself- when she is with him. When she's around her mother and Evelyn, she's just kind of playing the game. She doesn't really want to be there. Her mother is so overbearing and has this certain image of what she wants Hope to be, and Evelyn gets off better with Mrs. Harcourt than he does Hope. I definitely think Hope's fun side comes out with Billy. Especially bring that out in DeLovely, that's where you can really make Hope shine in my opinion and have fun with her. I've learned that a lot of Hope is reacting too. She's in a lot of scenes where she doesn't say anything and just reacts. The deck chair, staying up all night (with Evelyn and Mrs. Harcourt), and sea gull scenes is a great example (I don't know if that's in the 87). That I really beefed up, even though there's not a whole lot to work from from the script.

Good luck with the role, I hope I was of some help!

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:32 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thank you so much. As for the difference in the versions..Billy doesn't confess that he isn't Snake Eyes or profess his love for Hope until after the song. Still, even though I'm opposed to being there, I think my character would get caught up in the action. Besides..I'm thinking about playing it sort of sarcastically and throwing glares in Billy's direction every once and a while. I could almost overdo it and it would work too.

I definitely noticed the same thing you did. How there are two sides to Hope, the real and the act. How whenever she's around Billy she's truly her saucy self. There are certain scenes in particular like the "taxi" scene where you see her start with a wall up and Billy slowly breaks it down. If that is in the 60s version.

I think I'm starting to get her now.

Mrs. Dobbs in "A Christmas Carol" (Dec. 11-14)

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
During this scene I have soo much fun trying to keep Evelyn (music theatre00 is the evelyn in my production so he knows) in line because he's too busy saying LAWDY LAWDY and all that. but eventually I think Hope wants to have fun a little bit.
Also go with the glancing at Billy thing.
Break a leg!!

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:00 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yeah...my friend is playing Evelyn and we'll probably plan something like that. I'm probably going to go with the whole sarcasm bit rather than looking like I don't want to be there.

Mrs. Dobbs in "A Christmas Carol" (Dec. 11-14)

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm playing Hope for a production in october and struggled finding a reason why i would be happily dancing like everyone else on stage for "blow" and decided that she does it because she knows it is expected of her to be happy and enjoying herself. When Billy confesses to the whole ship, Hope then has to try and keep her "disposition" in public so it is only when everyone leaves that she can really be herself, hence why she sings "goodbye little dream" now.

I'm so excited about the show!!! had my wig fitting today and the director wants me in a dark wig!!! crazy cos im a redhead, but it means that all 3 ladies are different colours (reno-red, erma-blonde)

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:00 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
When I played Hope I just said to my director that in light of everything that just happened Hope would never be out there dancing in Blow Gabriel Blow. she said..youre right. and allowed me to exit after my last line.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:47 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Hope Harcourt...help please.
Hello! I just got cast as Hope today :) i was doing a bit of research and found this! Can I ask you guys some questions? how many songs will I sing? Does reno like capture the whole entire play like it seems it will be? was it really fun to do? And last but certainly not least.... ANY suggestions would be FANTASTIC!

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]