The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Hope tips and scene suggestions 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
Post Hope tips and scene suggestions
So I've been rehearsing in the role of Hope for about a month...I'm comfortable with her now and want to spice her up a litte. Any suggestions? Anything you've done with this role? She doesn't have much to work with lines, but she does a lot of reacting which I find to be a big challenge.

Question about one scene particularly...

How did you play off the scene after Hope spends the night with Billy (DeLovely) and Mrs. Harcourt is saying about Hope staying up all night?

Mrs. Harcourt: Hope, I'm tired of this chasing around the boat. Let's find the deck steward and get our chairs placed.

Hope: But Mother, I don't want to sit down.

Mrs. Harcourt: Well, I should think you'd want to rest, staying up on deck with Evelyn till seven o'clock this morning. I told you, dear, that under the proper conditions you'd find Evelyn romantic.

Hope: Now, Mother, you go and get our deck chairs. I want to explore the boat some more. I'll find you.

Evelyn: (Entering) Ah, there you are. Jolly bracing this morning, what?

Mrs. Harcourt: I don't know how you young people do it--after staying up all night--

Evelyn: Oh, did you stay up all night? Shame, shame, shame, on you, you, you!

Hope: Mother, have a chair placed for Evelyn next to ours.

Mrs. Harcourt: Now, Evelyn, you mustn't keep Hope up all night every night. You know it was after seven when you brought her to the state room this morning.

Evelyn: I say, really?

Hope does a lot of reacting here..I'm not sure what she's thinking though. Is she trying to change the subject with "you go get our deck chairs" and "have a chair placed for Evelyn" is she afraid that the truth will come out or doesn't she care because she wants Evelyn to find out so that he will be jealous and develop some "fervor", or something else entirely?

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:40 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
These questions are really things you need to speak with you director about..... that's what they are for, to help you find and present your character.
Any "spicing up" should be done with their input, or you may find yourself getting negative feedback from them.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:40 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
Thanks for you advice, I have spoke with my director about them. He said it may be that Hope wants Evelyn to be jealous, but he kind of left it up to my own disgression to explore. At this point he wants us to explore on our own, and then if he doesn't like it he will tell us to change it. He wants us to bring fresh things to the role without him having to spoon feed everything. I was just wondering what others experiences were with playing Hope and if they added anything particular to her, and nuances that were interesting, as well as their interpretation of that particular scene :)

Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:24 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
well..Hope is a worldly, clever,witty woman. she isnt an innocent flower.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]