The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Moonface/Bonnie Relationship....? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Moonface/Bonnie Relationship....?
I was recently cast as Moonface in a community theater production of the 1962 version, and I haven't even gotten the script yet, so I know it's a little early to begin character motivation work, but I was just curious, are Moonface and Bonnie at all romantic interests for one another? I've read some synopsizes that say yes, and some that say no. I guess I'll just have to wait and get the script to see for myself, but I was just curious. I was thinking that impressing her could be a good motivation for Moonface wanting to be higher than public enemy #13. Just a thought.

Past Roles:
Smee - Peter Pan
Moonface Martin - Anything Goes
Harold Hill - The Music Man
Mayor of Whoville - Seussical

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:20 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Moon and Bonnie are not involved at all. she is the girlfreind of Snake-Eyes johnson. public enemy #1

Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Ah, okay! Thanks for clearing that up. I really just need to get my hands on the script first and foremost.

Past Roles:
Smee - Peter Pan

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:29 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Perhaps all of the Anything Goes veterans on this board will call it blasphemy, but I think having Moon and Bonnie be romantic interests for one another actually works really well for the characters and the story.

I've been working on this show for months (as Moonface) and playing with the choice that he has a large crush on Bonnie and I like that angle a lot. It adds for an added dynamic to their scenes together and gives just another reason for Moon to resent and be jealous of Snake Eyes - he's got a great title AND a great gal. But with him out of the picture, both are open game now!

It also completes Moon's story arch throughout the play better. Bonnie needs to have enough power over him that just by having her say/sing "That doesn't matter anymore. You're the top!" to him convinces him that losing the goal he's been working for the entire show is okay. This way he loses one objective (becoming a worse criminal) but gains another (her attention).

I have no idea how much this applies to any possible Moonface/Erma interactions if at all, as my only exposure to the 1987 version is the cast album. I'm just throwing my two cents out there.

Past Roles:
Smee - Peter Pan

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:09 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
I really like that view on their relationship and it makes a lot of sense. Never thought of it in that way before.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:22 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I agree, I think Brad has it right. They act like brother and sister, though they're very flirty. While Bonnie has other things on her mind, I always imagine Mooney crushing on her.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]