The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Disasters, Mistakes, Pranks, etc.? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Disasters, Mistakes, Pranks, etc.?
Dear Anything Goes Fans,

If you have any disaster/ mistake/ prank stories which relate to your production of AG, feel free to share those stories here.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:39 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Sailor missed cue because he was playing gameboy backstage.

Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:02 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Our Mrs. Harcourt forgot to put on the removable "beard" part of her fur. I heard it starting, and I looked up, and there was a dead chinchilla hanging on the costume rack in front of me. Kind of gross, actually. And we all started panicking backstage. We had forgotten, of course, that our Billy is an improv genius. He stole her hat and put his jacket on backwards and played it brilliantly. I am very glad that that was the night we were filming, so I got to see it.

On closing night, we were all really emotional, and I had a hankerchief because I kept crying and I stuffed it down the front of my dress because... well, there was nowhere else to put it. And then "Blow Gabe" came and I got very enthusiastic with my dancing, and as I was exiting the stage I saw my friend gesturing to me. It was sticking out, and looked really awkward.

The passengers all entered through the aisles and onto a gangplank. Several people slipped on it. And one night, a latecomer was getting to her seat really slowly as the Angels were trying to make their big entrance. There was chaos and an awkward pause.

During "De-Lovely" some of the chorus would stand on the steps in pairs and sing. One night my partner accidentally pushed me and I almost fell off, onto the captain's head.

Ah, there are about a thousand more but I can't think of them right now.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:00 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Sailor missed cue because he was playing gameboy backstage.

We (all the Angels) totally missed a whole scene during final dress rehearsal because we were so excited about new costumes that had just appeared in our dressing room and we JUST HAD to try them on right away. (Hey, they were REALLY cute!)

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:46 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

We just got back from State Theatre Fest(we were the showcase performance, if you saw us let me know!), and our final performance was just hilarious. First, I came in for an entrance 3 lines too early(but apparently no one noticed, and I recovered well). Then, in one scene I had to shove a whole deck of cards in my slip. When I took off the slip, every card went flying from my chest(our hairdresser couldnt stop laughing, and laughed every time I walked in the room for the rest of the rest). And finally, in the brig scene when Erma comes in to give Billy a note from Hope, Moon was supposed to yank my nose. Well, he always pulled it so hard that it hurts, and this time, he gave me a pouring nose bleed. I was bleeding everywhere, was bawling my eyes out, and the entire cast plus the stage manager were freaking out because my song was less than 5 minutes away(every 20 seconds someone would come in and ask if I was SURE I could sing). Luckily it stopped just before my entrance, I nailed my song, and I gave a very horrible feeling Moon a hard time for the rest of the week.

Yeah, thats a memory.

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
After Mrs Harcourt has lost her dog, the director added a scene where a local celebrity would come on and do a little bit of dialogue with with suggestions on how to find the dog. for example we had a local radio announcer come on and say that he would put a call out on air to see anyone had found the dog.

One of the celebrities was a vet who has his own National (in Australia) TV show. He came on with about 7-8 different dogs asking Mrs Harcourt if one of these were hers. One of the dogs then proceded to pee on Mrs Harcourt's leg! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Buff :D

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:19 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

In our show we didn't have any people to help us change the set so we had to do it ourselves, and one time during the scene change from the stateroom to the ship, one person fell off a step, dropped what he was carrying, and made one of the hugest crashes I had ever heard. Then another time, Reno missed her que during the second prison scene, so Billy and Moon started talking about the difference between indoor and outdoor china. It was really funny!!!

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:55 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
We had this monumental ship set designed and constructed by the fellow who also played Evelyn. It was really super looking, but seemed very large considering that it needed to also be used at the small 3/4 round theater we move to after our home run in our local school auditorium is finished.
The director kept asking the set designer if he had taken accurate measurements for the proscenium opening at the smaller theater.... to which he always replied that he had indeed done so.
So we close at home, load the set up and move to the smaller theater which is about an hour from home. They start putting the set back together, and, what do you know it is too tall. A huge fight ensued, lasting for about two hours during which language and insults flew fast and furious between the director and designer, while the cast sat around and listened.
Finally, my husband and brother - law, who were helping with the set took a saw and started cutting down the top floor flats. "What are you doing", the director and designer said. "Making it fit", said they. And they did.

Of course you had to duck under the proscenium to enter on that level (I scraped my bare back nearly every night in Hope's backless gown). But they resolved in about five minutes what the powers in charge argued over endlessly.

A funny moment happened during one performance at our home stage. Billy came out in a disguise (wrapped in a blanket) of an old lady to sit next to Hope (me) in a deck chair while Evelyn is present. Our Billy sat down and immediately the deck chair and he keeled over backwards. Billy kept on with his lines and old lady voice while Evelyn ad libbed and helped him up. Unfortunately for me, it is the only time I have ever really lost it onstage during a performance.

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:21 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
so when it happens.
ill post on here haha

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The second night of the show, I happened to sneak a peak at the audience as I was going into "You're the Top." Well, the person sitting front and center also happened to be my main competition for the role of Billy, and he was scowling at me the entire time. When it comes time for me to sing, well... "You're the top! You're hughahhbhhuhhhh..." To this day, I have no idea how I managed to speak gibberish. But the girl playing Reno covered it up well. The amount of times I messed up on that song is phenomenal.

Our Mooney was an awesome improviser. In the Billy/Mooney brig scene, Bonnie always showed up a little late. Mooney would go on speaking as he dealt out cards. My favorite (Mooney is trying to get everyone to look away while he cheats): "WHAT?! Oh, no, we're FINE. Yup. Just spending a little time in the Hotel du Brig- I HATE YOU." And then he proceeds to sob.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:57 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

during a rehearsal when we were practicing the scene with Blow Gabriel Blow in it, after Mrs. Harcourt scolds Eli about proposing to the captain, instead of responsing with "I'm a lonely man", the person playing him said "he's a lonely man". The whole cast was cracking up!

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:08 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

and there was another time when we were blocking and the person playing Moon said "pull up a poo" instead of his line "pull up a pew" THAT WAS HILARIOUS!

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next