The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Crocker Question 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Crocker Question
Hey there guys, I just wanted some opinions about something. Can Crocker be played by a Nathan Lane (physically similar anyways), character-type actor? Mind you, I can do sensitive and puppy-love very well, but I'm just wondering. Normally I'd wanna play Moon, but we have THE perfect actor at my school who has a deep, intimidating bass voice for him, but for Crocker, I'm basically the only decent tenor actor we've got. Could it work?

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:11 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
No Crocker is the William Gaxton and Moon the Victor Moore of the team.
(the famous musical theatre pair that created the roles)

in modren terms think Billy as Matt Broderick and Moon as Nathan Lane

or Billy the young Dan Ackroyd and Moon John Belishi.

If I were you I';d go for Lord Evelyn its the best male role in the show hands down.

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:10 am
Profile WWW

Right, but despite the fact I am bigger, does that just defeat the entire character? I mean, the biggest parallel I can draw to my mind is Horton from Seussical; someone who is typically bigger, but is a soft, kind hearted and shy lead like Crocker.

As for sizes though, I did happen to see a bigger Erma (my good friend Jenny) and it worked out just fine. Couldn't this work the same?

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Right, but despite the fact I am bigger, does that just defeat the entire character? I mean, the biggest parallel I can draw to my mind is Horton from Seussical; someone who is typically bigger, but is a soft, kind hearted and shy lead like Crocker.

As for sizes though, I did happen to see a bigger Erma (my good friend Jenny) and it worked out just fine. Couldn't this work the same?

Billy isn't "soft" or "shy".

Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 pm

To me, more than anything it sounds like you're worried about not fitting the physical type the role usually is. You could probably get away with it physically. But Allie is right that you would need to stretch in the acting department - this is not a demure role.

Since you really want to be Moon, though (bear in mind, that's not a shy role either), why can't you go for that? I don't know which version you're doing, and I don't know the 87 one very well, but there's nothing vocally required in the 62 one that would require a bass voice (nor a tenor voice on Billy, for that matter).

Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:26 pm

Main Role: Performer
Easy to Love and All Thrpough The Night go into tenor range.

Easy to love gets very high.

and yes. Billy is not shy he is outward, crazy and very egocentric.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

All Through the Night goes into tenor? I can sing all the notes in that, and I can barely sing an Eb...

Are you sure it goes that high? I thought Billy was for the most part a high baritone.

"Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our finger through the flame?...why, do we refuse to hang a light when the streets are dangerous? Why does it take an accident before the truth gets through to us? Actions speak louder than words.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Billy is the epitome of a tenor role. My then boyfriend was Billy, and was a trained tenor, and still have to work his upper range because especially "Easy to Love" was really, really high.

I wouldn't doubt Salome on this stuff. She knows Porter better than probably anyone on here.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:35 am

Well, I apologize for the confusion. When I saw Anything Goes Billy was neither crazy nor egocentric, just determined. And I also apologize for using the word "shy", but what I meant basically is that he's intimidated by Evelyn. Whether it be by money, or the fact Evelyn has the one thing he wants (Hope), he still feels somewhat below him. As for the acting, I think I'd be fine at the part, I mean, out of the three (acting, singing and dancing), I'm most certainly an actor above anything else.

As for "Easy to Love" I did notice that this goes quite high, but as I was singing along with it, it didn't seem like anything too unmanageable. Ab's maybe? I don't know the exact notes, but like I said, I don't think it would be anything impossible for me. On a typical good day, Bb's arent even that tough for me, but we'd have to see on this particular song. One never knows until they actually sing the song.

But thanks for the help guys, I really do appreciate it. And yes, the physicality is what I'm most worried about if we do this show. I mean, I remember last year when we did Crazy for You, I lost 30lbs just because I wanted to play Lank, but then I got stuck with Everett and it turned out for nothing (though I wound up liking Everett SO much more by the end). So losing weight is never really an impossibility for me I guess, the real question is why I don't do more of it right now, haha.

But in any case, has anyone ever seen a slightly heavier Billy either in a hs or comm. production?

P.S. This is the Crocker I saw (along with my friend Jenny as Erma), but I'll admit, the Moonface annoyed the HELL out of me. He was a freshman who had done like 1 show prior... but oh well:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ENFGHuT2loY

Enjoy!

Last edited by Jman383 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:49 pm
Profile WWW

I don't see why Billy needs to be skinny...As long as the personality is right.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Billy is the epitome of a tenor role. My then boyfriend was Billy, and was a trained tenor, and still have to work his upper range because especially "Easy to Love" was really, really high.

I wouldn't doubt Salome on this stuff. She knows Porter better than probably anyone on here.

I don't know which version he is doing...but that song wasn't in our version.

I'm pretty sure the version we did he wasn't a tenor, as I can sing most of the songs with out difficulty. Especially All Through the Night (it's actually the easiest for me to sing).

"Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our finger through the flame?...why, do we refuse to hang a light when the streets are dangerous? Why does it take an accident before the truth gets through to us? Actions speak louder than words.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:22 pm
Profile WWW

If we do do the show, it'd have to be the 1987 version, seeing as it's the best. The others though do not have "Easy to Love" which is the song in question.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next