The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Billy Dancing 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Billy Dancing
Could anyone tell me what songs Billy could tap dance in? ('62 version) Also, I don't have the script and haven't seen it. Is he in any songs (Anything Goes, Blow Gabriel Blow, etc.) that he doesn't actually sing in?

Thanks for the help.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:13 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

When my school did this last year, our Billy was a pretty amazing dancer (and our director is/was very ambitious!) so she had him doing a lot of tap.

"Anything Goes," "Blow, Gabriel, Blow," and "Let's Step Out" were all big company numbers. "Anything Goes" especially had a lot of tap, and the other two were more like standard musical theater choreography (y'know what I mean?). Billy is in the dialogue immediately prior to those numbers, so naturally he danced with everyone else. Actually, at my school we always have people picked to be "featured" dancers and he danced with them during the dance break, even though he doesn't sing solo parts in those songs.

Billy sings/dances in "You're the Top," and "Friendship," as well as a little bit (slower stuff, not tap) in "De-Lovely." He's the center of attention in "Public Enemy Number One" but it's a really short, boring song so there's not much dancing at all in that... And he doesn't sing in that song either. Umm, he's in "All Through the Night" but at the time he's in jail, so no dancing. He also sings like one solo line of "Bon Voyage," but we didn't have much dancing in that song, either, other than Mrs Harcourt (me! :D).

I think that is all of the numbers? Dang, I never realized before how much Billy does in the show! Well that's the way we did it, anyways; I don't know how your director will choose to do it. But I hope this helps! :P

:mrgreen:

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Again Anything Goes and Lets Step out are big tap numbers in my show. In Friendship their is some softshoe tap. In my show Billy is not in Blow Gabrial Blow because the lines right before that are him confessing that He is not Public Enemy number one and the captain sends moon and Billy to Jail... So he didn't sing and or dance in Blow Gabe... We are making Blow more of a musical theatre dance... no tap! But It could be done differnt ways.

Quote:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"To love another person is to see the face of God\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In my show Billy is not in Blow Gabrial Blow because the lines right before that are him confessing that He is not Public Enemy number one and the captain sends moon and Billy to Jail... So he didn't sing and or dance in Blow Gabe... We are making Blow more of a musical theatre dance... no tap! But It could be done differnt ways.

Ahh, wait a second, that sounds right. My mistake; of course Billy isn't in "Blow, Gabriel, Blow." I think I was thinking that he confesses after the song, but it is before. D'oh. :oops: Lol. But I think I remembered everything else correctly, so your production must have been pretty similar to ours.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Ahh, wait a second, that sounds right. My mistake; of course Billy isn't in "Blow, Gabriel, Blow." I think I was thinking that he confesses after the song, but it is before. D'oh. Lol. But I think I remembered everything else correctly, so your production must have been pretty similar to ours.

We haven't performed it yet, but we just finished blocking the whole show so its fresh on the brain. Yes are shows are probably really similar. Who did you play?

Quote:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"To love another person is to see the face of God\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:09 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

*grins widely and goofily in memory of her biggest/most fun role to date*

Hey, I'm still pretty young and easily excited... Hehe. :mrgreen:

What part are you?

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Quote:

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ooh, I'm jealous! I was called back for Reno, Bonnie, and Mrs Harcourt, but I flaked on the singing audition. I had just kicked ass singing "Blow, Gabriel, Blow" for the Reno singing callback, when they had us do a bit of "Heaven Hop" for Bonnie... And I completely forgot to do the character voice. :oops:

Needless to say, I was cut at that point! Lol. My friend later told me that I'd sounded good, but that he thought I was "still in Reno-mode" when I sang it. Hehe. But congrats on the part, Bonnie is awesome! Definitely the comic relief. And you must be a good dancer, too. Man, thinking about this show is giving me such fond memories from last year. We're doing Oklahoma this year and it's just no where near as good. :roll:

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I dont love Anything Goes. Last year we did Seussical and I was Gertrude and that was like my favorite part ever. Anything Goes is fun cause I get to tap but besides that I dont love it but oh well!

Quote:

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Really? Then my love for it must seem pretty annoying! Lol. I'm sorry that you don't like it though, but the audience will love you. In ours, the girl who played Bonnie was awesome (she should have been Reno, but the director's daughter got it instead) and in curtain call she always got tons more applause than any other characters. So I hope you still have fun with it, even if it's not your favorite. :P

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

No I dont mind your love for it. Alot of my friends love it. My role is fun I just dont love the show as a whole!

Quote:

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]