The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Erma/ Bonnie age, character....opinions? help???? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Erma/ Bonnie age, character....opinions? help????
So hi guys this question has probably been covered in other places but I'm asking it again anyway! So I'm thinking of auditioning for Bonnie/Erma soon, I in a adult society and I'm 18 so I'm pretty much the youngest, so I think Erma is the right aged character, you think? I get the impression that she is...well...bluntly..pretty blonde and naive in a sort of way i mean I know shes like in with the guys but in a naive way maybe? I just wondered bout these things, how would you interpret her? and what you think bout the age thing? the other people doing parts will be in 20's 30's, will it look odd, I don't look old for my age at all? thanks in advance for any help!! hehe! xxx Dont just look answer!!

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I saw Anything Goes a while ago.. so I'm trying to remember who played Bonnie... I think she was around your age... not sure, but I think so.

I mean, if you look young enough for the part, you'll most likely be able to pull it off.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
The Erma in the production I was in was late teens-early twenties, so go for it.

I don't think she is naive about guys - she's always going after the sailors. She can get them to give her their trousers in one scene and, if memory serves, has a line about "teaching a stoker the finer points of stoking" - something like that.

Buff :D

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:04 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

thanks! How old is she suppose to be, I know shes like younger than the others, is it suppose to be noticeable that she is younger than the others.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:25 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

thanks! How old is she suppose to be, I know shes like younger than the others, is it suppose to be noticeable that she is younger than the others.

I think she's in her early twenties. But she could be any age really! I think if she's gonna be young, she's gonna be young and sexy; someone the sailors really go after. :mrgreen:

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:22 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

hope can be anyehere from 18 to 30.

thse two roles are the ones i'd look at if i were you..

Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:04 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Yeah they are the parts I'm looking at really I can do both parts well vocally, but one of my friends has suggested that I choose one of the parts and work my butt of on that one! As I said before I'm 18, I'm slim I'm about 5ft1 (im a midget i know! hehe) I have blonde hair, erm I have mezzo voice but am working on a soprano range and can manage Hopes songs easily. say i chose one of the two parts to work at what advice wold you guys give me like, how can I make a good Hope or Bonnie/Erma? what should I concentrate on? from what I've told you what do you reckon the decision should be? I always think it's better to get other peopls opinions, I know you guys dont know me and havent heard my voice or anything but what you think! xxx

Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Hi, Just found out today that we will be doing the newer version, dunno if this had any relevance or impact on the replies to this post but I just thought I'd mention it....

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:08 pm
Profile WWW

the characters are teh same with a few exeptions material wise.

Erma sings Buddy Beware in the 1987 version..a much better song than the 2 throw away numbers she has as Bonnie in the 1962 version.

Hope still sings Delovely and All through trhe night but also has a solo "goodbye little dream goodbye".

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

yeah I have the 1987 version on CD and have done for some years, I dont have a clue about the older version so I'm glad were doing the new one. I have recently been considerin the part of Hope too, basically because I like her pretty songs and like singin them, I think I could pull of a Hope better than a Erma, I am a little unsure because of the age thing, I'm thinkin Erma is the only chance i have because of my age. I could pull of either girl pretty well though....well in my opinion! hehe

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]