The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
HELP PLEASE... 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post HELP PLEASE...
Hi everyone, my school is holding auditions for "Anything Goes" in the next 4 weeks, and I was just wondering how Hope's mother, Ms. Harcourt I believe, should be played? I heard that she is a stuck up woman, and not very nice, but that she is still a character role. Would something like an english accent work for this part, but not too over the top? Or should it just be more "upper crust" without using an accent. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated since I do not know anything about this part. Thanks. :D

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:54 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Upper crust without the accent. Evelyn is unique for his english accent.

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:44 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I played Mrs. Harcourt this past summer! I used a character voice that was very operatic and very annoying. Think of the typical rich mother in any movies from the 30s with ingenues. The ones that would faint? Very domineering.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:34 pm
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

This is a good question. Just to let you know, I am not an expert on the character, but I have been in the show before. I believe that Mrs. Harcourt should not have a HEAVY accent (leave that to Evelyn), but she is very stuck up and proper so a slight english accent would work. Mrs. Harcourt is a rich stuck up kind of snob. Use a character voice that makes her seem operatic and very dramatic. Hope this helps! Good Luck!!!!

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]