The Resource For Musicals

Anything Goes Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Moonie's Accent... 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Moonie's Accent...
well I am a sophmore in high schooland we are doing Anything Goes (80's version) augh... and am very passionate about theater, as is everyone who posts. I am a decent actor, although I have never been in a musical comedy before, hence I have like no experince with comical parts. My initial ideal charchter in this play was Billy, as I am a stronger singer, but after seeing the show, my heart is set on Moonie. However, i know that he has a very strong New York/Brooklyn accent (please correct me if Im wrong)...and I am not sure I will be able to pull it off. A senior male i know for sure will get the part of Billy, but there isnt really any other guys that i know of who would be fit for Moonie. Can Moonie be played without an accent?

thanks for your help everyone!

-Ryan

myspace: www.myspace.com/just_ryry

Few people dare now to say that two being

have fallen in love

because they have looked at each other.

Yet it is in this way that love begins

and in this way only.

-- Les Miserables

Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

i guess it depends the most on the way your director sees it and how strict he or she wants it to be, but personally i think the part is way funnier with the accent, and i think 99% of directors would want to keep it in. you're right though, it is a new york/brooklyn kind of accent, so i'd say just try to find sound samples (or hey, a real new yorker if you're lucky! :wink:) to get an idea of what it sounds like. once you get a feel for it, it's really not as hard as you might expect. hope this helps :P and good luck with your audition! i hope you get the part :D

:mrgreen:

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I'm not sure with this is too late but... whatever.
If the accent is your problem, they make tapes and books and such that can teach you how to do accents. I know I've used them in the past, and they have worked. I can't remember which one I used. Do some research on it.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]