The Resource For Musicals

The Secret Garden Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Physical Appearance Of Archibald Or Neville? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: The Secret Garden
Main Role: Musician
Post Physical Appearance Of Archibald Or Neville?
There are two different audtions for Secret Garden coming up in less than a month. This show has always been one of my favorites, and I played the Fakir back in 1995. It has been a dream of mine to play either Archibald or Neville, and I'm hoping to finally make this a reality.

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one thing holding me back from getting either of these parts... my weight. Vocally, I can more than handle either part, as I have 9 years of professional singing experience. Acting, I should fair very well. I've played a number of roles in amateur shows (including leads), performed chorister roles in 6 different professional operas, and know Secret Garden and it's characters inside and out. Lastly, I'm 38 years old, so the age is perfect for either character.

I guess I would just like some feedback from everyone. Other than the fact that Archibald is a hunchback, does anyone think weight should matter for either of these roles? I'm able to get around just fine, and choreography/dancing wouldn't be an issue.

Fakir, The Secret Garden
Moonface Martin, Anything Goes
The Snake, The Apple Tree
Flint, Something's Afoot

Currently playing:
Brian, Avenue Q

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: Physical Appearance Of Archibald Or Neville?
There's nothing that indicates that weight is an issue for either role. I'm used to seeing Neville as tall and somewhat thin, so that's how I always imagine him, but there's no textual reason that either actor couldn't be overweight. It really just comes down to the director's vision.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:58 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
I don't think weight is an issue really. However, vocally they are somewhat different roles. If you've played the Fakir before I'm guessing you're a tenor - his stuff is really quite high (he sings with the altos in the chorus a few times!) - so Archie will probably be a better fit for you vocally (higher tessitura). Neville's lowest notes are still within reach for a tenor/baritenor, but they will likely be in your basement and you might have some volume issues if you'll be singing with a full orchestra.

Personally I don't think I could sing Neville terribly well. I'm a tenor with a pretty wide upper range, but my lowest notes don't have the strength to carry. I just played Josh Baskin in Big: the Musical and I really struggled with his lowest notes. But maybe you have a stronger low register than I do. Just make sure you have those high As for "Quartet" and "Race You to the Top of the Morning."

Dickon, The Secret Garden
Josh Baskin, Big: The Musical
Freddy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Franz/Dennis, Sunday in the Park with George
Frederic, The Pirates of Penzance
Historian/others, Spamalot

Up next:
???

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:28 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

mje1986 wrote:
However, vocally they are somewhat different roles. If you've played the Fakir before I'm guessing you're a tenor - his stuff is really quite high (he sings with the altos in the chorus a few times!) - so Archie will probably be a better fit for you vocally (higher tessitura). Neville's lowest notes are still within reach for a tenor/baritenor, but they will likely be in your basement and you might have some volume issues if you'll be singing with a full orchestra.

Personally I don't think I could sing Neville terribly well. I'm a tenor with a pretty wide upper range, but my lowest notes don't have the strength to carry. I just played Josh Baskin in Big: the Musical and I really struggled with his lowest notes. But maybe you have a stronger low register than I do. Just make sure you have those high As for "Quartet" and "Race You to the Top of the Morning."

Yes, I'm a tenor, and yes, the Fakir has some crazy high notes. Vocally, he has a great part. Singing that role was an experience I'll never forget.

It's kinda funny how Dr. Craven is considered a baritone part. His highest note in the score is F#4, and his lowest is a C3 (which is also Archie's lowest note). I have the high A's to play Archie, and an extremely strong falsetto. The C3 is probably the lowest note I can sing strongly, so I'm lucking out there, too.

I appreciate y'all's feedback. I'm certainly excited for auditions, and am hoping for the best. I suppose time will tell. There is auditions the end of February, so I suppose if I don't get either role there, the auditions at the other location are only a week later.

Fakir, The Secret Garden
Flint, Something's Afoot

Currently playing:
Brian, Avenue Q

Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: The Secret Garden, Wicked, Finian's Rainbow
Main Role: Performer
Our Archibald was older, while still tall and dark. He was pretty thin and ragged-looking, with a hoary sense about him.
Our Neville was a little heftier (although still pretty fit) and had a mustache. He was also pretty tall, but younger and a little less "worn".

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well, the local auditions start tomorrow, with callbacks on Sunday. Wish me luck!

Fakir, The Secret Garden
Flint, Something's Afoot

Currently playing:
Brian, Avenue Q

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]