The Resource For Musicals

The Secret Garden Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Lily Craven's various physical appearances! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Lily Craven's various physical appearances!
Dear hyperactress23,

Thanks for the book quote; I haven't read The Secret Garden in literally years! My mother read it to me when I was about 14, but that was ages ago.

According to all of the information that I've ever read online, the original Mary was blonde, so I'll bet that her aunt's "bright hair" was either golden, light brown, or reddish blonde.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8-)

hyperactress23 wrote:
The Duchess of Mint wrote:
I can't remember what she was supposed to look like in the book "The Secret Garden".

Taken from Chapter 13: "It was the picture of a girl with a laughing face. She had bright hair tied up with a blue ribbon and her gay, lovely eyes were exactly like Colin's unhappy ones, agate-grey and looking twice as big as they really were because of the black lashes all round them. ... 'She is much prettier than you,' she said, 'but her eyes are just like yours-at least they are the same shape and colour.'"

So looking at the description in the book, her eyes were actually gray, not hazel. (But yes, I do understand the musical is a work of it's own and it says hazel.) Honestly, as mentioned above, the eye color doesn't really matter, as it's not noticeable from the audience. I don't know what it means by "bright hair", nowadays that would mean dyed, but back then it could have been a light blonde or a red maybe? I'm not really sure.

The production I saw had her with brown hair, same as Mary's. Mary and Lily looked quite alike, which really worked well in "Lily's Eyes" because they had both Mary and Lily out there, posted the same, and the similarities really added to the song. If it matters, Mary is described as a blonde in the book.) In the book, however, Mary is said to be a very unattractive child, while Lily is definitely attractive. It also says (later, in chapter 15) that while Colin's eyes look exactly like Lily's, only sadder (to the point that Archibald cannot stand to look at him when he's awake), other than the eyes he looks very different from his mother.

Since the musical is not the book, and doesn't have the description of Mary being ugly, I'd say I like the idea of Lily and Mary looking alike. That would really add to the problems this causes for Archibald, as the more alike they look the more painful the dreams would be for him. But, of course, that's just my opinion, and not something in the script or a "commonly done" practice (that I know of).

Looking at pictures online, it would appear her hair is usually blonde or dark brown.

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:51 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Lily Craven's various physical appearances!
Well ,the last time when I enjoyed the Lily Craven's play, she was looking so pretty and offcourse with hazel eye, it is really catchy. No word for that. But, I really enjoyed that time.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2