The Resource For Musicals

The Secret Garden Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
What Part??? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post What Part???
I think someone already had this started, but I need help advising which part to go for.

I am 16, but I will be 17 by the time of auditions for The Secret Garden. I don't know if I should go for Lily or Martha.

My range is quite wide: I can sing about an F below middle C and up to at least a high D flat. I've been trained classically for about four years now. Because of my training, I can do operatic styles, but I also belt pretty well, like in Godspell where I sang "O Bless the Lord".

The problem is, I'm competing against adults. I won the part of Fruma-Sarah in Fiddler against adults, but I don't know if I will do that again at this community theater. I can pass for an adult though, especially since I'm 5'9.5". I normally get cast as older parts and I'm told my voice is mature for my age. I also thought Lily couldn't have been that old when she died since she died in childbirth and they married younger back then.

I also can learn accents pretty quickly, and I have a brother from Manchester, which might help me somewhat with a Yorkshire accent.

Also, which song should I sing?

If I go for Martha I was thinking possibly "It's an Art" from Working, because it's about a waitress who is cheerful and happy with what she is, but it might sound a bit different from The Secret Garden music.

If I go for Lily I was thinking of "He Plays the Violin" from 1776, but yet again I'm not sure.

Thanks so much!!!

:D =D>

Fruma-Sarah in Fiddler on the Roof

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think you should try for Martha. Lily, although she may have died young, still has "love" duets with an older Archie. Some directors (and audience members, I suppose) would have a problem with a 30-40 something man pining for his 17 year old wife. Martha is 18, but probably can be played into her early 20s. Sorry, can't help you with a song. Good luck with your audition.

--Scott

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:43 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
I agree you should try for Martha, especially if the group you are auditioning for has any strong mature women in contention for Lily.
Lily must appear not only with Archibald, but also with Colin (who is usually played by a 10 to 12 year old boy) and must convincingly look like his mother.

You could indicate on you audition sheet that you are interested in both roles...

I think your song selections are fine.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:40 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Hmm... tricky! But I think I'll agree with Melindaisy and go for Martha but put down that you are interested for both.

Ygraine in Pendragon
Mrs O''Lafferty in Ragged Child

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:11 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Go for LILY! If you've been classically trained, your voice should fit Lily really well. Watch out for the high D!

If you are more comfortable singing in your belt range, then perhaps Martha is the better fit, but I would buy a young Lily and an older Archie. He isn't smarmy or gross and nothing physical has to happen. Besides, that would fit the time period anyway. And it's super-easy to make a 17 year-old look like she's 25.

Ulitimately, you should sing the type of song for the audition that is in the style of the show and that fits your voice the best.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:13 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

DO you have to pick just one? Perhaps you could try to find a song that show a more classical style, since this show is more classical, but still gives you a chance to show your range for both Martha and Lily, then leave it uop to the production crew to decide which role. This way you can be considered for both, and really they are both wonderful parts. Good luck!!

Into the Woods-Lucinda, Godspell-By My Side and All Good Gifts Soloist, There Once Was A King and Prodigal Son Narrator, It\''\''s A Wonderful Life- Ruth Dakin Baily and Others, The Music Man-Alma Hix, The Secret Garden-Martha

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:18 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I'm 17, and I just finished this show two months ago. Like you, I sound and look older for my age, but I knew that when competing with adults it would be more likely for the parts to go to them. I'd suggest looking into Alice (whom I played) or Claire; they are smaller roles, but they each have little solos here and there, and are onstage pretty frequently. However, if you are shooting for one of the larger roles, I would suggest that you go for Martha over Lily, simply because of the age factor.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]