The Resource For Musicals

The Secret Garden Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Which sort of a "sick" look does Colin usually spo 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Which sort of a "sick" look does Colin usually spo
Dear "Secret Gardeners",

I'm curious to know how Colin is usually portrayed, with regards to the extent of his illness? Is he usually portrayed as a boy who is only trying to CONVINCE everybody that he's sick? Is he portrayed as someone who has MADE himself ill, due to his own physically sedentary lifestyle?

Is his physical look usually super pale, and is he a pseudo-obvious hunchback?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:?:

I want someone who's the deviant version of Fred MacMurray, David Tomlinson & William Schallert....but who has the looks of guys like Dan Haggerty, Kris Kristofferson & Tom Selleck.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:38 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Which sort of a "sick" look does Colin usually
The Duchess of Mint wrote:
, and is he a pseudo-obvious hunchback?

Uh, he's not a hunchback at all. He just thinks he is.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:17 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

No. He's not a hunchback. The poor kid is just so sheltered because Archie so terrified of losing him like he lost Lily.

He's a bit of a hypochondriac, but not seriously ill. He's just like any kid who is pampered, stays inside all day and doesn't get enough exercise and sunlight.

So much fuss is made over him.....what else could he do but think there's something wrong with him?

Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:17 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I always thought that Colin was poisoned by his uncle!!!!!!!!!

idk

Bet(Oliver), Ensemble(Wizard Of Oz), Morgan(Camelot), Belle(BATB), Apassionata(Lil Abner), Ensemble(Mmmbeth), Claudia(John Lennon And Me), Narator(Joseph),Narrator 1(Seussification), Hotbox Dancer(Guys and Dolls), Edwin (Edwin Drood), Sallie (Hope Chest)

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
I think he may have had some sort of sickness as a very young child to begin with, but nothing serious. This scared his father, who called in Neville to take care of him. Instead of helping him get better, Neville made up some unnamed illness, which Archibald believed out of fear and Colin believed out of not knowing better.

By the point of the show, Colin has been locked in his room for most of his life, so he would be very small and pale, but from lack of sunlight, exercise, and proper nourishment (remember, a lot of times he refuses to eat his meals), not from a real sickness.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:19 am

Main Role: Other...
I always thought (at least from the original book) it was more his father hiding him because he couldn't deal with how Colin was the loss of his mother ... so I agree on the malnourished part. But he also, if I remember right, had some sort of injury because at the end, he could walk.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:21 am
Profile WWW

His father hid him, yes, but I think that it started because he thought he was sick and didn't want to lose him too. Him originally having some kind of minor sickness is just speculation on my part. Archibald figured that to keep him from getting sicker, he would lock him away from the world. Lily loved "the earth", so he wanted to keep Colin away from it in hopes that it wouldn't kill him too, even though the "earth" isn't what killed Lily.

It wasn't that Archibald couldn't deal with seeing Colin, because it's obvious he loves him, as shown in "Race You to the Top of the Morning". At the same time, he's afraid that he will somehow hurt Colin, so he only comes to see him at night.

I don't think Colin is injured, his muscles have just become weak from misuse.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Main Role: Other...
Hmm ... I think I'll reread the book now.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile WWW

That was based mostly from the musical (since that's what this thread is about), but I don't remember there being anything in the book that contradicts what I've said. It's been awhile since I've read it though, so I could be wrong...

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]