Why No Movie? 

Movie of The Secret Garden
Yes 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 19

Why No Movie? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'd love to be Mary...but at 15, I'd say I'm too old to pull her off unless I was doing it in a college production where everyone else is atleast 5 inches taller than me.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:42 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

It'd be a bit awkward to incorporate the Dreamers... unless they were just cut...

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:00 pm

It'd be a bit awkward to incorporate the Dreamers... unless they were just cut...
Not if they were presented as ghosts.

I have a vision for this film that would work...unfortunately...I can't describe it for you...haha.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Too...scary, or too adult?
Dear Sweeney Hyde,

Is your idea for a film version of "TSG" too scary, or is it just too adult for a family audience? You're likely to be intriguing various posters with your remark about the idea...

I know that the 1993 movie version of the story included suggested incest, a suggested love triangle, etc. I know that someone who posted on www.imdb.com is saying that there's an implied relationships between Dickon and Mary...in the book! Wow!

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8)

Sweeney Hyde wrote:
Pannic wrote:
Not if they were presented as ghosts.

I have a vision for this film that would work...unfortunately...I can't describe it for you...haha.

I want someone who's the deviant version of Fred MacMurray, David Tomlinson & William Schallert....but who has the looks of guys like Dan Haggerty, Kris Kristofferson & Tom Selleck.

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:49 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

There's no implied relationship during the time in which the novel is set. Mary is nine-years-old for God's sake. I think the novel does imply that she marries him as an adult.

Although I happen to recall a movie sequel to The Secret Garden in which Mary marries Colin. Which I think is utterly weird.

I think for a film version, the Dreamers could be shown once, perhaps twice, but usually they serve to move between scenes. I think they would work as voiceovers for those bits. I can see it in my mind, a pan shot across the moor to Misselthwaite Manor, and then the voices "In the house upon the hill..."

I`ve been waitin` for the light to shine...

Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:55 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
In the 80's Hallmark version, Mary and Colin grow up and marry...
Not SO weird... cousins used to marry all the time.
In that same movie, Dickon is killed during WWI... I can't remember what the book says about him though, it's been a while since I read it.

She may be a little old, and I have no idea if she can sing, but I picture someone like Anna Friel as Martha... just because of the broad northern accents I've heard from her before(like in "The Land Girls) and her spunk... ;)

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'd like a movie, if Hollywood had no hands in it. I have a special love for this show, and Archibald was one of my favourite roles.

I'd like to see the best stage actors in it. And important... good children actors. In most movies, children are horrible annoying. Our child actors were really nice when we did it.
So it could work, just no fluff and no Disney-like sugar.

Yes, I fear the Dreamers would be left out if a bad director did it. They left out the chorus from Sweeney, so I can imagine everything. :(

Other things sung: bass solo in Mozart`s Messa da Requiem

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:13 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Though, orginally, the ghosts in Sweeney were planned.

I think the only reasons why a movie has not been thought of yet was simply because it's rarely heard of and never gained a lot of interest. It has yet to revived!

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:40 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Maybe a concert-movie like Les Mis Anniversary would be better... I'm just traumatized by movies made from musical, they rarely cast people who can sing. Basically they were chosen because of their good looks :( but I'm generally excited with movie idea since I can't see the show onstage

And oh, is marriage between cousins considered incest? I thought it was only between siblings...

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:01 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'll give it a chance...not all movie-musicals are bad, like Oliver! and My Fair Lady. All they have to do is to cast actors who can do decent singing & suit the role properly

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2