The Resource For Musicals

The Secret Garden Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Wow! 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Wow!
I'm listening to the OBCR of The Secret Garden for the first time now. 8O Wow! That's all I can say. What a gorgeous score. I would love to do this show someday.

It would be neat to see it done in that sort of John Doyle/Bertolt Brecht style with the actors playing the instruments. In this case, the spirits would act as an onstage orchestra. I am so anxious to see this show. Can't wait 'til it plays somewhere around here. Perhaps a tour will pop up...

I reccomend this show to fans of musicals such as Les Miserables.

Last edited by what_the_heck013 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Wow!
what_the_heck013 wrote:
It would be neat to see it done in that sort of John Doyle/Bertolt Brecht style with the actors playing the instruments. In this case, the spirits would act as an onstage orchestra.

8O That's an awesome idea!

Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:14 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Umm...whether it works is open to trial. I still can't figure out how it would be. But that's a cool idea!!

btw,I'm a Les Miz fan and then fall for the music of The Secret Garden. :mrgreen:

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:17 pm

Umm...whether it works is open to trial. I still can't figure out how it would be. But that's a cool idea!!
I am yet to actually see the show... so I don't know how it would work either, but from what I hear about the show... it could work. If they did it with Sweeney and their doing it with Company...

Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I have seen TSG, it's been awhile, but I still remember a lot of it. I absolutely LOVE this show! It has to be my all time favorite. As you pointed out, what_the_heck013, the music is gorgeous!!

So, the stage is very bare, hardly any set pieces. I could see the Brecht thing working. I directed a 30 minute version that I cut myself for my senior project years ago. It was awesome! (of course I am biased) It is a very minimalistic show....I could see the spirits as the orchestra....it would be very interesting.

Unfortunatly, I think it is a bit too soon for a revival on this one...although I wouldn't completely object...as long as I could be Martha :)

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:36 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post A John Doyle Style THE SECRET GARDEN
what_the_heck013 wrote:
It would be neat to see it done in that sort of John Doyle... style with the actors playing the instruments.

I think the time of this actor-musician gimmick is over, thank goodness. It is a technique that does very little but compromise the musicality of the score and often goes a long way to compromise the integrity of the acting performances too, unless you find a great actor and make them play something ridiculous like a triangle.

I would hate to hear The Secret Garden done in this way. It would not make the show more meaningful; it would not bring to light any hidden subtext of which we are unaware; and it would not give us a fresh perspective on the material. It would just be a gimmick pasted onto the show in deference to a trend that is well past its sell-by date.

Sat May 01, 2010 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]