The Resource For Musicals

Rent Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
If I audition for ensemble, what should I sing? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post If I audition for ensemble, what should I sing?
The local small/semi-professional theater is doing Rent this summer, and I doubt I can even audition because of my current work schedule, BUT if something magical happens between now and auditions, I want to. I'd really just aim for ensemble (their ensembles are always very small) but secretly hope beyond hope for Maureen.
Would it be better to sing a modern musical theater song or a rock song for ensemble? And if I wanted to audition for ensemble but kinda wanted to hint that I might be good for a bigger, better part... what should I sing?

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post Re: If I audition for ensemble, what should I sing?
Wow, this was a year ago.
Anyhoo, I did end up auditioning, and since they were OK with (and kind of wanted) people singing from the show, I sang part of Take Me or Leave Me... just like every other woman who auditioned! lol Except the one who got Mimi who sang Out Tonight.
I wasn't originally cast, but then someone dropped out... well I was actually a replacement for a replacement. But I got good ensemble bits to do, so it was an awesome experience. I did Mrs. Jefferson (yeah, I'm white and she was black, whatever!), the Blanket Lady (all my friends LOVED seeing lil ol' me singing 'who the f$@K do you think you are?!?'), Alexi Darling (god I hate those numbers), one of the Christmas Bells homeless people, and... the SOL soloist! Pretty good for someone they didn't even cast to begin with :)

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]