Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Rent to Re-Open Off-Broadway!!! 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post RENT Re-Opening Off-Broadway
Quique wrote:
Maybe Mimi will croak in this one?

And allow the show to have a narrative that is actually aligned with its theme? I fear that this is would be too much to hope for... :angel:

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Rent to Re-Open Off-Broadway!!!
I say that Rent might stand a good chance. This is not to say it's not a money-grubbing venture; clearly it is, and a fairly transparent one at that, meaning they saw the success of the Hair revival and are trying to capitalize with their very similar musical. But being an obvious money-grubbing venture isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a profitable product with name brand recognition -- why not put on a low cost production Off-Broadway?

I think that the show will do very well, at least in theory -- lots of tourists want to see a show but want to be assured beforehand that they'll like the music, which means picking something they know, which is why this horrible jukebox-musical genre is riding the crest of the popularity wave right now. Likewise, Rent is something a lot of tourists will already know. It's a lazy approach to theater-going, but who except a serious theater enthusiast cares about that? Everyone who saw Rent in its original production at NYTW can tell you that there is something very exciting about Rent performed in a small theater. Add to all of this the fact that I think there still may be a large enough fan base for the show internationally that might pay for the experience of seeing it in New York. Hell, even domestically, there was recently a production of Rent in Denver that drew a larger audience with more attendant excitement than the big touring show that was in town. This is certainly circumstantial evidence at least for the thought that even without tourists it will always draw an audience.

And in any case, there really isn't any harm in bringing these productions back. If bringing back these old chestnuts is what it takes to revive our Off-Broadway theater scene, which has been on a respirator for years with Off-Broadway houses always having trouble finding something to run, then I'm totally okay with it. I'll take something, anything, to revive Off-Broadway. If a revival of Rent is what it takes to bring money into that sector, everyone still wins.

I think there is something to using larger scale musicals to help revitalize interest in Off-Broadway. One of the issues really hindering Off-Broadway is that because of rising costs, it is only marginally cheaper to see a show Off-Broadway than it is on Broadway (with discounts). And the tourists who are used to seeing one or two shows on their trips would frankly rather have the "Broadway" experience. But if there are titles of known Broadway properties that will draw audiences to an Off-Broadway setting, it's a great way to draw people back into theaters outside of 8th Avenue.

Now, barring any unforeseen circumstances, I can even see Rent being a runaway hit again. If they can come up with a formula in which the production can break even selling 2/3 of a 500 seat house, it could make money, and if we assume that Rent, also with a cast of nobodys, was able to sell 50% of a 1,100 seat theater two years ago, it seems likely that's within the realm of possibility - at least from a head-count standpoint. Keep in mind the union costs are much, much less for Off-Broadway productions. It will cost a fraction to actually run the show week to week of the cost that it did at the Nederlander. I am willing to be proven wrong if the opposite occurs, but theoretically, there's no reason it couldn't go, and go well.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:05 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wow, I just pop back to Mdn to see how things are going and i see some great news like this. Must be my lucky day :)

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Post RENT to Re-Open Off-Broadway!!!
Playbill has put up an interview with Michael Greif, the director who staged the original Broadway production of RENT and who is repeating his duties in this Off-Broadway revival. The full article is interesting to read, but what is relevant to this particular revival are the following details:

1. The text of the show will remain basically the same, with a few 'tucks' - no additions and no updates;
2. The physical staging will be completely new (barring, it seems, that of "Seasons of Love");
3. There will be new sets and costumes; and
4. There will be a greater emphasis on projections, representing Mark's filmmaking.

Guess we will have to wait for August to draw nearer before we learn any more.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:02 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
http://www.compulsivebowlers.org/boards ... um.php?f=2

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer
Okay, taking a look at the cast, I immediately realize one thing:
I went to high school with Corbin Reid!!
She played Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes in my freshman year of high school. X D
It has to be her, she's in my yearbook and from the same city.

....I didn't have class with her or anything; she was a senior; I was a freshman.
This is crazy. X D

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:58 pm
Profile YIM

Main Role: Other...
^That's awesome, Gwen!!

The Very Angry Woman wrote:
Rent can't stay dead. Just like Mimi.

LOLOLOLOL.

Yeah, I've seen stuff pop up about RENT on facebook. This shall be interesting!

Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:59 am
Profile WWW

Post RENT to Re-Open Off-Broadway!!!
So Ben Brantley isn't impressed with anything about the new RENT, barring Annaleigh Ashford as Maureen:

Quote:
[T]o me this Rent feels neither close enough to nor different enough from the original to warrant revisiting. It is visually busier than its prototype, with jittery new choreography (by Larry Keigwin) and slapdash mood- and place-defining projections (by Peter Nigrini). It also (and I can’t imagine my hearing has grown more sensitive in a decade and a half) sounds both louder and less coherent than it did before, with the careful contrapuntal strains of Larson’s score sometimes collapsing into one dissonant blur.... The cast is passable but seldom more than that... Only Annaleigh Ashford as Maureen Johnson the performance artist (first played by Idina Menzel, if you please) adds a revitalizing grit to her role.

Check out the full review here, if you are keen.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:40 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Old discussion is good about off Broadway way but now the scenes has changed and is really really enjoyable.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2