Rent Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
RENT photoshoot! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Sweeney Todd
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: RENT photoshoot!
I don't know about everyone else, but I would enjoy seeing some clips. I always love hearing how different people perform shows, and seeing it is even better :D

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Here are some videos :)

I must say....the audio isnt very good...a lot of the time it didnt pick up the chorus...but still...enjoy :)

Seasons of love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrczjGk4 ... er&list=UL

Out Tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjPkGKJE ... er&list=UL

LaVie Boheme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRhSqnbp ... er&list=UL

RENT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBmiywq ... er&list=UL

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Hmmm. The show wasn't really ever meant to be a celebration, so I don't get what y'all were trying to achieve by having what seems like every number accompanied by groups of very happy, enthusiastic dancers performing joyful choreography around the main characters who seem more concerned with being generally showy rather than performing the piece and telling its story. Why is "Out Tonight" performed at the audience and not delivered at Roger? What are all those girls representing? What is the choreography telling us and how is it supporting the story? What is it telling us about Mimi? What's the concept behind it all? It can't possibly be a dance number for the sake of staging a dance number to a rockin' tune.

It almost seems like one big dance-off to the music of Rent, and not so much a performance of the musical Rent.

I don't dig the over-stylized look. The wigs are too cartoonish and the whole thing evokes a celebratory, self-indulgent air ill suited to the spirit of the piece. Sorry.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:59 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
^ Thank you! Jesus!

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:54 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

Current Obsession: Shaw
For me, Rent is partly about a struggle to make connection with others, and it seems that, as Quique said, this production of the show does not illustrate that at all.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Amanda Palmer, Doctor Who, Jane Austen
Perhaps relevant, perhaps not, but did anyone else notice Mimi sings "New Year's Day" (Film Lyrics) rather than "Christmas Day" in Out Tonight? Can I ask why the deviation from the licensed script?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:03 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Quique wrote:
Hmmm. The show wasn't really ever meant to be a celebration, so I don't get what y'all were trying to achieve by having what seems like every number accompanied by groups of very happy, enthusiastic dancers performing joyful choreography around the main characters who seem more concerned with being generally showy rather than performing the piece and telling its story. Why is "Out Tonight" performed at the audience and not delivered at Roger? What are all those girls representing? What is the choreography telling us and how is it supporting the story? What is it telling us about Mimi? What's the concept behind it all? It can't possibly be a dance number for the sake of staging a dance number to a rockin' tune.

It almost seems like one big dance-off to the music of Rent, and not so much a performance of the musical Rent.

I don't dig the over-stylized look. The wigs are too cartoonish and the whole thing evokes a celebratory, self-indulgent air ill suited to the spirit of the piece. Sorry.

no worries :) I get it, form often influences the content. I really appreciate how you explained your criticisms in a respectful and polite manner...unlike others. But I assure you, I've worked as a dancer for this company before and they do really try to connect the choreography with the message and lyrics, im sorry that didn't translate through the videos. But I think the dancers were suppose to be dancers in the cat scratch club and Rodger was actually on a balcony on stage right.

anywhoo any more comments? perhaps on the quality of the dancing, singing and set etc? I know we don't agree on the interpretation but I would like to know what you think about the performers themselves, I know we all worked really hard and I hate how everyone is overlooking that.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:30 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
I'm sorry that it seems your efforts are under appreciated. Unfortunately, that's what comes when putting on a production that isn't cohesive and sends mixed messages. A production of a musical usually achieves best results when there is focus on the storytelling, otherwise, you have a disintegrated, fragmented show. Every element should ideally work in concert with the others in order to tell the story, but when you have dance telling us that it's "great to dance!" and Mimi's pink wig and goth get-up points the other way instead of pointing us toward the character as she is written in the play, it's problematic enough that it's easy to overlook the talent on display.

Your Mimi has an excellent pop singing voice and makes it all look so effortless. She was obviously born to perform.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I LOVE dance in musical theatre. One of my all-time favorite musicals--A Chorus Line [The original stage play, NOT the horrific 80s film version]--has some of the most thrilling moments helped in part by the incredible choreography. While I enjoy dance immensely, it's the one area I don't feel comfortable making observations regarding technique unless it's a piece I know very well. But I can say your dancers look fantastic as a group, they are all certainly very talented, and their moves seem to be executed well. The choreography is fine but that's something very difficult to comment on because part of the function of dance in musical theatre is to tell us something relevant connected to the story.

The thing I like most about your Rent is the set design, which is very close in layout and concept as the original production's but with its own unique stamp; its grittiness and industrial look and feel are effective. The lighting is attractive and goes well with the glam/goth nature of the costumes.

By themselves, all the above mentioned elements are really well done. They show the skill of their designers and show-off the talents of the company. This would have been fantastic if it were a talent variety show of sorts.

And I'd be very careful when it comes to altering the script, even if it's only by a few lines or words. A recent case involving a college production of Rent and the unauthorized omission of some lines from the licensed script put some of the people involved in really hot water.

I'd also generally advise against the temptation of modeling a stage version of a musical based on its film version. You're not doing your production a favor when you stage it using ideas and elements better suited for film. The elements that make live theatre unique are usually murdered in a big screen adaptation. Stick to the original script and think for the stage when putting on a stage play.

Sun May 08, 2011 5:49 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

wow thanks for that detailed report lol i really appreciate it :) I completely understand and agree with you on a lot of what you said. Thank you for taking the time to write that.

anyways its been like half a year since the show has ended...im now looking forward to the next; Spring awakening :) however it is put on by the same company so i dont think you guys would like it very much haha :lol:

Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3