The Resource For Musicals

Ragtime Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
RAGTIME Revival at Macy's Parade 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post RAGTIME Revival at Macy's Parade
For those who haven't seen the Ragtime performance from the Macy's Parade, here's a link to the clip on YouTube.

I found it underwhelming. The setting is lovely, but the lip synchronization is very out at the beginning and I found the performer's bodies lacking in energy, which is fine when the camera is on their faces but as soon as it pulled out to show their whole bodies... well, it was just dead. It kicks into a higher gear when the camera pans to the ensemble for a chorus or two of the opening number, but even this doesn't look like a fully energised or committed performance, particularly from the white folks and the African Americans.

I realise it's difficult and early and all that, but... I just didn't find it as thrilling as I think it should be. :?

Later days
David

Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:01 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Other...
I saw it in D.C. I think the audio may be off just from the video that was off from the video ... that happens a lot with the Macy's Day parade.

Additionally, it may have been a choice to only have a certain portion of it, to capture the Statue of Liberty...seriously, don't use that performance as a judgment of it. Because in real life, it's so much more amazing than that was...because of the intricacy of the set, they had to do the so called "simple" choreography, I think, or they build on dances from that period of time. I forgot exactly.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:26 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post RAGTIME Revival at Macy's Parade
kozafluitmusique wrote:
Seriously, don't use that performance as a judgment of it. Because in real life, it's so much more amazing than that was.

Did I say anything about it being a reflection on the stage show? No, I didn't. All I said was that the performances in this clip lacked energy, which they did, and that Quentin Earl Darrington and Stephanie Umoh had dead bodies under over-animated faces, which is true: their bodies weren't living their characters.

And, if we do get onto the stage production, I don't think the staging of the opening number in this revival is a patch on the staging of it in the original.

Later days
David

Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]